Trackstick on Dell Latitude D830 doesn't work

ISR

Hi everyone,

First things first: I am a Linux/Windows (I use Windows for vidya games when WINE fails me) user who has to have access to an OSX system to code for the iPhone.  I don't dislike OSX but I can't say I care for it, either.  I will say, however, that one thing that I love is the mouse in OSX.  After using it for a few minutes and going back to Windows the mouse there seemed so sluggish, but I've strayed off topic a little.

I came here and found the laptop on your compatibility list that has all the boxes ticked which turned out to be a Dell Latitude D830.  I got one cheap off eBay and have since used your lovely articles to install OSX Mountain Lion 10.8.4 successfully (aside from the fact that at the end of the installation it said it failed but after restarting it has worked flawlessly).  Following a different tutorial, I had OSX Snow Leopard running and in both installs, I found that the trackstick didn't function.  I was wondering if there was a way to get it going.

Aside from the wifi light there isn't much left that is failing to function properly.  The light isn't major but the trackstick is.  Can you help?

Also, would you all recommend upgrading to OSX 10.9.x?

• Administrators

• Wifi light does not work on any Hackintoshes, it's not just something affecting the D830.
  • For trackstick, you'd have to look for the right set of PS2 kexts; however, I could not tell you which one supports the stick unfortunately...
  • Mavericks 10.9.2 only on D830 models with nVidia graphics; Intel GMA X3100 graphics chip is unsupported so, whilst you would still be able to install Mavericks on a D830 with the old Intel graphics controller, it would run pretty bad with severe graphics degradation and overall reduced performance.

Yeah, I had already been informed about the wifi light.  It's a small thing so it's fine.

Where would one look to find such a PS/2 ktexts file?

And yeah, I saw that about the Nvidia graphics when I was looking at what computer to purchase on your compatibility list.  I made sure the one I bought had Nvidia graphics.  But I think Nvidia over Intel graphics is always the logical choice, anyway, when buying any computer, innit?  Just as I would say Nvidia over AMD.