Mavericks Install on Optiplex 745 SFF Problem

cobrat

I have a Dell Optiplex 745 SFF with a 1.6 Ghz Core2Duo, 8 GB DDR2 800 RAM, and 500 GB HDD.  I added an ATI 5450 PCI-X video card as the onboard video doesn't seem to be supported past Lion. 

Attempted to use myhack 3.3.1 and the OSX Mavericks source image downloaded this past January through USB flash drive. 

Upon booting from the USB drive with the myhack configured Mavericks installation, it would load for a bit before rebooting back to the BIOS.  In the bios, I've tried setting it on Normal and Legacy.  Same thing keeps happening.

Is there anything I'm doing wrong or that I am overlooking?

• Administrators

When you mention the BIOS, I take it you're talking about the HDD mode. You may not have AHCI setting available, in which case, yes, do try whatever option is available. I could be wrong, but I think several people reported issues with having the HDD detected in the OS X installer on that model.

Boot with -v so that you see where it reboots, but a reboot usually means some unsupported hardware (could be incorrect BIOS settings) or a kernel issue. You would not normally expect a kernel issue with your Core2Duo-based Optiplex.

You also mentioned a PCI-X video card, but I guess there's no PCI-X slot in your Optiplex and you meant PCIe (for PCI Express, presumably x16), right?

When you mention the BIOS, I take it you're talking about the HDD mode. You may not have AHCI setting available, in which case, yes, do try whatever option is available. I could be wring, but I think several people reported issues with having the HDD detected in the OS X installer on that model.

Boot with -v so that you see where it reboots, but a reboot usually means some unsupported hardware (could be incorrect BIOS settings) or a kernel issue. You would not normally expect a kernel issue with your Core2Duo-based Optiplex.

You also mentioned a PCI-X video card, but I guess there's no PCI-X slot in your Optiplex and you meant PCIe (for PCI Express, presumably x16), right?

You are correct, there's no AHCI HDD setting.  Just "Normal" & "Legacy".

I did mean the PCI-E card, sorry.

And I did try -v, but the text rolled by too quickly before the sudden reboot back to the bios. 

I am having the same problem. I have an Optiplex 745 as well. 4GB RAM, E6600 2.13, ATI HD 4650 (all working in 10.6.8). I am unable to make the transition to mavericks after many tries. I was told I would only need a 2.5.1 IOATAFamily, but the reboot loops suggest more like the chipset (ICH8). Can someone help?