Latitude D620 Mountain Lion install issues

nevneo

Hi guys,

I've been trying to basically finish up the ML install on my C2D d620 with intel GMA graphics.

I've been able to get past step 10 in the guide, and i'm able to reboot to ML 10.8.5. The issues occur after I run EDP and and update the boot.plist in the chameleon wizard.

After I restart from that I can't get back to the desktop. I'm not sure where I'm going wrong.

I've done this 2 times thinking i've messed up somewhere during the first try, but now i'm pretty much stumped.

Also the screen brightness is incredibly low and the LAN card does not work. wlan works fine.

I'm using the hi-res-extras from the guide.

Please help !! 

• Administrators

It's highly likely that current EDP messes things up with this particular special MLPF setup but it may well be that you're not choosing the correct EDP options. Dell Latitude D Series with Intel GMA950 graphics require the well-known brigthness fix (i.e. an older Intel frame buffer).

Replace your current /Extra by the attached one, add any specific kext you might need for wifi or anything else that might be required and run myFix (quick). You won't need EDP any more.

D620_HiRes_MLPF_Extra.zip HWMonitor.zip

NB: The DSDT contains a reference to a DW1395 wireless card; it is just cosmetic, so you can safely change that to whatever card you have, just make sure to adjust the string buffer (i.e. the number of characters) too.

Hi Herve,

Thank you for your response. I will do another re-install of ML and apply these zips to it.

My Config-

Latitude D620 - C2D T7200 2Ghz

2 x 2 GB DDR2 667 RAM

60 GB SSD 

1440x900

Dell 1390 Wireless

DVD RW

Bios A10

ML 10.8 + update to 10.8.5 combo update.

Based on this, what else do you think I would need to make this install ?

I basically followed your guide to the letter, but I think its missing something because it does not work.

The first time I tried it, I updated with the 10.8.3 combo update. But EDP seems to break the system right after it is run - I think.

Also, is Chameleon wizard the correct way to modify the boot flags ?

Do I need to run "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -a i386" before or after I reboot for Chameleon edit to take effect ?

Let me know your thoughts on this.

Your work here is commendable and your input is highly valued. 

Thank you VERY MUCH !!

• Administrators

The guides were written at a time where EDP was different from what it has become now. But I'm not going to rewrite those guides. As stated above, with the above /Extra, you can basically bypass the EDP step; it's not required.

Yes, Chameleon Wizard is the correct and easiest way to modifiy boot flags. Rebuilding cache is not linked at all to Chameleon flags. It's directly to kexts manipulation, so run the command to rebuild 32bit kext cache as myFix (quick) will have a tendancy to rebuild 64bit kext cache (ML being normally a 64bit-only OS).

Ok, looks like we took a couple steps back. Now I can't boot into the ML install with the Extras you gave.

"Mach-0 file has bad magic number" at the chameleon boot screen.

I'm installing a plain 10.8.0 with the myHack 3.3.1 and the new Extras from your post.

• Administrators

Well, obviously the arch=i386 option should only be used once MPLF has been applied. During initial "vanilla installation", use 64bit native mode (without graphics acceleration) of course, or you won't be able to boot ML.

The pack I posted comes from a D620 running MPLF ML 10.8.5...