Dell Latitude E6220 with i5-2520M, HD3000 and 1366x768 LCD - Mavericks/Yosemite/El Capitan/Sierra/High Sierra/Mojave/Catalina

Hervé

• Administrators

Apologies if this comes up quite late after all those years but I've come to realize I never posted about the trick I've been using for some time to further get rid of the small graphics glitches/corruption that inevitably effect the E6x20 HD3000 laptops; I'm talking about those defects such as horizontal black lines or occasional pixelisation that keep appearing over time, especially after repeated Sleep & Wake.

Now, for the life of me, I just can't remember where I found it (probably IM but I would not bet money on it) but using a SwitchResX-generated custom resolution with a 62Hz refresh rate fixed the issue on my E6220. I've set this as the default resolution using DisplayMenu app.

Details are as follows:

E6220_SwitchResX_01.jpg

E6220_SwitchResX_02.jpg

E6220_DisplayMenu.jpg

This, combined with VRAM increase, nearly totally removes the infamous glitches.

• Administrators

Target macOS release:

• Mojave 10.14.x (all versions)

Proceed with the knowledge that, HD3000 lacking compatibility with Metal, only OpenGL graphics acceleration can be achieved. It works Ok but minor graphics defects and/or slightly degraded graphics performance may be noticeable at times. It's not totally as smooth as in High Sierra though entirely usable. SMBIOS switched from MacBookPro8,1 to MacBookPro9,2 in order to ensure full compatibility with Mojave.

E6220_Mojave.jpg

E6220_i5-2520M_HD3000_Moj_10.13.6.jpg E6220_Moj_SpeedStep#1.jpg E6220_Moj_SpeedStep#2.jpg

E6220_Moj_VGA.jpg

E6220_Moj_HDMI.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_PCI.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_Graphics.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_Audio.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_USB.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_Webcam.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_SD.jpg

E6220_Moj_SysInfo_Ethernet.jpg

Working:

• full graphics acceleration on HD3000 graphics (after specific tuning)
  • HDMI output
  • DVI + DP output through port replicator E-Port K07A002
  • VGA output (with SNB framebuffer patch)
  • full audio, including jack microphone input and headset output (with AppleALC kext and layout-id 12)
  • HDMI audio (with SNB framebuffer patch)
  • built-in Gigabit Ethernet (with AppleIntelE1000e or IntelMausiEthernet kext)
  • DW375 bluetooth OOB (on/off supported with Broadcom Controller Transport patch injected to FakeSMC kext)
  • native SpeedStep at CPU multipliers x8/10/12/14/16/21/22/25 (with AICPUPM patch + generated CPUPM SSDT)
  • Turbo boost to x32 3.2GHz at Turbo multipliers x26/27/28/29/30/31/32
  • system sleeps Ok through lid closure, power button, Fn-F1, Apple menu->Sleep and energy savings settings with hibernation mode set to 0 (sleep to RAM) and /var/vm/sleepimage file deleted. Wakes Ok through lid opening and power button
  • wireless & bluetooth with any compatible card
  • battery management and monitoring (with ACPIBatteryManager kext)
  • SD card reader (with injection of compatibility with Apple's default device 14e4:16bc)
  • integrated webcam OOB
  • keyboard backlight control OOB (for backlit models)
  • left combo eSATA/USB2.0 + right USB2.0 ports OOB
  • ExpressCard slot OOB

Not Working:

• N/A

Not tested:

• SmartCard reader

1) 10.14 USB installer creation

• Using a USB key of 8GB minimum, create a Mojave USB installer through the following Terminal command:
sudo <path>/Install\ macOS\ Mojave.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/<USB key>
  • where:
    • <path> = location of Mojave installation package (eg: /Applications if freshly downloaded)
    • <USB key> = name of formatted USB volume (eg: USB_8GB)

The process will take several minutes. Once completed:

• install Clover bootloader on the USB installer with the following non-UEFI/legacy customised settings (my E6220 just would not boot from USB in UEFI mode):
    • Install Clover in the ESP
    • Boot Sectors -> Install boot0af in MBR
    • Clover for BIOS (legacy) booting -> Clover EFI 64-bits SATA
    • BIOS Drivers, 64 bit -> ApfsDriverLoader / FSInject / HFSPlus / SMCHelper
    • BIOS Drivers, 64 bit -> GrubEXFAT / GrubNTFS
  • you may use version r5097 attached below or any subsequent version available at Dids' Github repo:
  • once Clover is installed, launch Clover Configurator app and mount the freshly created EFI partition of the USB installer
  • open this EFI partition and transfer the files & folders from the E6220 Mojave Clover pack below to the EFI/Clover folder.
  • copy Clover package + Clover Configurator app to the root of your USB installer for subsequent use later

2) Basic 10.14 installation (no HD3000 support/no graphics acceleration)

• boot the Mojave USB installer
  • at the Clover main menu, select the "Install macOS Mojave" partition but don't press [ENTER]
  • press [SPACE], select -v verbose option in the menu, then boot with the selected options
  • proceed with installation, 1st creating & formatting the target Mojave partition through Disk Utility as/if required (GUID scheme, HFS (journaled) format)
  • on 1st reboot, boot from the USB installer again and boot the freshly created "macOS Install from <target Mojave partition>" temporary partition
  • repeat this reboot sequence until the temporary partition is no longer offered and only the target Mojave partition is offered, marking the effective completion of Mojave's installation

3) Post-installation basic tuning

• Once the target Mojave partition has booted, complete the 1st boot system setup
  • Once at the desktop, install Clover bootloader on the Mojave partition/disk with the customised non-UEFI/legacy settings listed above or for operation in UEFI mode according to BIOS mode
  • Once Clover is installed, launch Clover Configurator app and mount the freshly created EFI partition of the Mojave partition/disk
  • Open this EFI partition and transfer the files & folders from the above E6220 Mojave Clover pack to the EFI/Clover folder
  • You may then reboot and verify that Mojave boots directly off your disk through Clover

• If you wish to cache add-on kexts rather than inject them through Clover at boot time, copy them to /L/E folder and rebuild your cache through the following Terminal commands:
sudo chmod -Rf 755 /L*/E*
sudo chown -Rf 0:0 /L*/E*
sudo touch -f /L*/E*
sudo kextcache -i /

4) Post-installation graphics tuning

• Fine-tuning for natively unsupported HD3000 iGPU may now take place using the files available in the package below, as derived from early findings with Mojave and the work done dosdude1 & AsiententBot at MacRumors & InsanelyMac:
  • Place an uncompressed copy of the above HD3000_10.14 folder to the root of your Mojave partition/volume
  • Reboot in single-user mode (at Clover main menu, press [SPACE] and select -s option)
  • At the single-user mode prompt, mount your Mojave volume:
mount -uw /
  • For Mojave 10.14.4 and later, remove GPUSupport + SkyLight + OpenGL + CoreDisplay vanilla frameworks:
rm -Rf /S*/L*/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework
rm -Rf /S*/L*/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework
rm -Rf /S*/L*/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework
rm -Rf /S*/L*/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework
  • For Mojave 10.14.4 and later, install 10.14.3's replacement frameworks:
cp -Rf /HD3000_10.14/Frameworks/CoreDisplay.framework /S*/L*/Frameworks/
cp -Rf /HD3000_10.14/Frameworks/OpenGL.framework /S*/L*/Frameworks/
cp -Rf /HD3000_10.14/PrivateFrameworks/GPUSupport.framework /S*/L*/PrivateFrameworks/
cp -Rf /HD3000_10.14/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework /S*/L*/PrivateFrameworks/
  • Install the legacy kexts required for HD3000 support:
cp -Rf /HD3000_10.14/Extensions/*.* /S*/L*/E*
chmod -Rf 755 /S*/L*/E*
chown -Rf 0:0 /S*/L*/E*
touch -f /S*/L*/E*
  • Quit single-user mode and resume normal macOS startup:
exit

macOS Mojave should then complete full boot and now run with (OpenGL-only) graphics acceleration. Note that this entire graphics-tuning process will require to be repeated after each Mojave update.

5) Mojave updates

• Once a Mojave update has completed its installation, the above graphics fine-tuning process must be re-applied through single-user mode.

NB: The Clover config provided in the pack contains HD3000 VRAM binary patches in disabled mode. Enable and patch HD3000 kext accordingly if you want to increase VRAM settings.

• Administrators

Target macOS release:

• Catalina 10.15.7

Proceed with the knowledge that, HD3000 lacking compatibility with Metal, only OpenGL graphics acceleration can be achieved. It works Ok but minor graphics defects and/or slightly degraded graphics performance may be noticeable at times. It's not totally as smooth as in High Sierra though entirely usable. Due to installation problems with Catalina versions post 10.15.3, this particular installation relies on dosdude1's Catalina patcher. As such SMBIOS is back to MacBookPro8,1.

Also note that, despite several efforts, I never managed to boot the Catalina USB installer, whether native or patched. As such, this installation is one made directly from Mojave (or any other previous macOS version).

E6220_Catalina.jpg

E6220_i5-2520M_HD3000_Cat_10.15.7.jpg

Working:

• full graphics acceleration on HD3000 graphics (after specific tuning)
  • HDMI output
  • DVI + DP output through port replicator E-Port K07A002
  • VGA output (with SNB framebuffer patch)
  • full audio, including jack microphone input and headset output (with AppleALC kext and layout-id 12)
  • HDMI audio (with SNB framebuffer patch)
  • built-in Gigabit Ethernet (with AppleIntelE1000e or IntelMausiEthernet kext)
  • DW375 bluetooth OOB (on/off supported with Broadcom Controller Transport patch injected to FakeSMC kext)
  • native SpeedStep at CPU multipliers x8/10/12/14/16/21/22/25 (with AICPUPM patch + generated CPUPM SSDT)
  • Turbo boost to x32 3.2GHz at Turbo multipliers x26/27/28/29/30/31/32
  • system sleeps Ok through lid closure, power button, Fn-F1, Apple menu->Sleep and energy savings settings with hibernation mode set to 0 (sleep to RAM) and /var/vm/sleepimage file deleted. Wakes Ok through lid opening and power button
  • wireless & bluetooth with any compatible card
  • battery management and monitoring (with ACPIBatteryManager kext)
  • SD card reader (with injection of compatibility with Apple's default device 14e4:16bc)
  • integrated webcam OOB
  • keyboard backlight control OOB (for backlit models)
  • left combo eSATA/USB2.0 + right USB2.0 ports OOB
  • ExpressCard slot OOB

Not Working:

• N/A

Not tested:

• SmartCard reader

1) Preparation from Mojave or earlier macOS version

• download latest Catalina installation package off the AppStore
  • download latest DosDude1's patcher from his repository site
  • run the patcher and point to your downloaded Catalina installation package, then choose "Install on this machine", not "Create a bootable Installer"
  • You will then install Catalina either on your existing disk/partition or any specific partition that you may have prepared before
  • whilst the patcher does its stuff, update Clover to a version that fully supports Catalina. You may use version r5119 for instance:
  • once Clover is updated, launch Clover Configurator app and mount the freshly created EFI partition of the USB installer
  • open this EFI partition and add the (unzipped) SSDT-EC table below to the EFI/Clover/ACPI/patched folder:
  • copy the (unzipped) Clover config below to the EFI/Clover folder, overwriting any existing one:

2) Catalina installation

• once the 1st installation phase has completed, system will reboot
  • boot the "macOS Install from..." temporary partition until you're left with only the final Catalina partition
  • DosDude1's patcher does all the necessary patching so there's nothing more to do to get HD3000 supported

3) Catalina updates

• DosDude1's patcher only operates on Catalina full installation package. If you subsequently install Security Updates, you may not manage to reboot and re-use Catalina as you could find it difficult to repatch the updated installation. Proceed with than in mind if you must.

NB: The Clover config provided in the pack contains HD3000 VRAM binary patches in disabled mode. Enable and patch HD3000 kext accordingly if you want to increase VRAM settings.