[Solved] E6430 HD4000 Yosemite screen artifacts BIOS A12

scram69

• Moderators

Did you get "Invalid Partition table.." error? If so, that's what I got too, and upgrading to A07 or A12 work fix it. Not sure if you could jump from A03 to A12, but I know from A03 to A07 and then A12 works just fine.

When I got to A03 and failed to boot, I gave up and installed Ubuntu.

So in the interest of science I will give this another try - upgrade from A03 to A07 and re-install.  I'll let you know how it goes...

I got artifacts on the boot screen, but once I logged in - none - on A07.  The same boot screen issues were evident on A12, but the kext mentioned above applied to /s/l/e fixed it.

• Moderators

Hi Leppy,

Yeah the boot glitch started from Yosemite and it's not hardware/Bios related issue. A simple patch will eliminate most of that glitch but not all. But I noticed if your resolution is low, the less the glitch or non as compare to system with higher resolution.

Did you get "Invalid Partition table.." error? If so, that's what I got too, and upgrading to A07 or A12 work fix it. Not sure if you could jump from A03 to A12, but I know from A03 to A07 and then A12 works just fine.

I think the issue with A03 is it doesn't support UEFI boot in the same way as later bios, and my system was set up booting Clover UEFI.

But I followed what you and leppy did and flashed back to A07 from A03 and then re-installed Yosemite (this time with Chameleon).   And no more artifacts!  Thanks leppy for your valuable suggestion.  I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

...I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

OK, well I can't quite figure out how to do that in this forum, but maybe one of the Admins would be able to do it.  Would help the next E6430 owner that stumbles across the thread as many of the units out there will likely have BIOS >A12.

I think the issue with A03 is it doesn't support UEFI boot in the same way as later bios, and my system was set up booting Clover UEFI.

But I followed what you and leppy did and flashed back to A07 from A03 and then re-installed Yosemite (this time with Chameleon).   And no more artifacts!  Thanks leppy for your valuable suggestion.  I'm going to mark this thread as solved.

I didn't reinstall.  I just went down to A03, then A07, then A12.  

Note: the artifacts were just as bad on A11 as they were on A13 after going from 13 to 11.

In my initial attempts to fix the problem, I only flashed to older and older BIOS (16->12->11->07->03) but never back up like you did.  So when I got to A03, I gave up, wiped the drive, and installed Ubuntu.  That's the reason I needed to re-install Yosemite.

In hindsight I was too pessimistic - I should have waited a bit longer for this community to come up with the solution!