Need support for D630 GMA X3100 HiRes 1440x900 with 10.8.x MLPF hack

soohoq

Like the subject says I was playing a bit with that d630.I needed to have ML on it so I was happy seeing that hack is availble.

I followed guideline(the one by Herve here on the forum) almost to the letter :)

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2464-dell-latitude-d630-intel-gma-x3100-ml-with-full-qeci/

I got it working  to the point that I had hires 1440x900 working ok.... Here i strayed from the guide a bit - i wanted to get rid of -f flag during bootup  and passed  "sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel -a i386" BEFORE installing edp ....

I don't know if that's important that I did it before installing edp....anyways it didn't work.....command in terminal completed ok but after restart when i tried to boot it only with arch=i386 it kind of ignored this new hack and hang up during bootup. At least I think it had smthg to do with the hack since the very first thing i noticed was that grey bootup screen reverted back  to lower resolution during bootup....

with -f flag and arch=i386 it was working ok so I left it as it was...

Bigger problems appeared with EDP installation. In this old guide linked above there is a mention about EDP 5 so maybe thats it since now its EDP7 Im a total newb in the subject  so I'd appreciate any advice.  Here's what happened:

I made an edp build for my system and after reboot system wont start. I freezes during startup With -v flag it can be seen that  stops after command acpi smthg - i can provide exact but there is smthg else that I guess is crucial here - first thing I noticed after restart is that osx WONT switch to hires during bootup - EXACTLY the same thing  I had before when I was not using -f flag prior to the edp installation.Now it doesn't start with or without -f arch=i386 -x -F -v and some other flags and options I tried. So its not good. 

My limited understanding is that edpv7 has overwritten smthg and thus has broken that hack while other part of the system is configured for that hack ;nevertheless, i won't figure it out on my own so I would appreciate some help/explanation.In edp I have another OSX installation on that disk so I can easily access the file system to fix it.

The reason for the EDP installation was that I was hoping for some performance uptick since I had the feeling that system was not running on full speed....and I really needed few apps to work better.

In the EDP documentation there is this:

Note: If you have any custom plists, DSDT, SSDT and kexts that are tailored to your specific needs, copy DSDT, SSDT, plists to ‘/Extra/include’ and kexts to ‘Extra/include/Extensions’ before doing the build process. They will take precedence over the files available from our EDP database.

I did not do that.

Am I correct that is the source of the problem? Wouldn't leaving those files intact undo EDP provided  benefits to performance(cpu,gpu)....any hints appreciated- as you can see from my confusion:)

Thanks in advance for any help.

• Administrators

Indeed, the guides date from 3 years ago when EDP was quite different from what it's become today. ML was also still the active OS X release and had not reached final 10.8.5 version either.

I would recommend you followed the following procedure that does not call on EDP at all (you can totally do without):

1. install ML with myHack in the vanilla manner (i.e. without graphics support) using the Lion pack I've posted here but make sure to boot with manual option arch=x86_64 to overwrite the i386 option of the Chameleon boot plist (you undoubtedly know that vanilla ML can only run in 64bit kernel mode). It'll run slow/poorly without QE/CI but let's say that this will be temporary.
  2. update to ML 10.8.5 either through Apple menu or run the combo update.
  3. install all updates offered in AppStore (iTunes, Security updates, etc.). You'll most probably have to go through several steps and a few reboots.
  4. once you're running vanilla ML 10.8.5 with all OS X updates, run the MLPF app as per the guide to convert to 32bit ML.

That should work.

If I have time, I'll try to write new validated (i.e. tested) guides based on my full packs (i.e. no EDP involvement).