HELP me deciding the right unit, 4300, 6300 or 4400?

McEddie

Hello,

I am happy to see such a kind of activity and well done community.

I am looking for a new mobile unit and do not know exactly, what will be best for my needs, so I like to ask you some questions and hopefully will get the needed answer to fulfill my personal needs doing the right decision.

DELL notebooks are well known for its quality and there are some models I am interesting in, but did not figured out, what will be the best. I saw, that one member did a very nice BIOS mod for the M4300, which would be awesome, specially, if it will be a hassle free work based on upcoming OS upgrades.

So, models of my choice are: M4300, M6300 or the newer M4400

My questions are:

- is it possible to install a UMTS card with that units only with "installing" the right PCIe card or do they need any additionally work (antenna, SIM card slot)?

- does anyone tried or can be helpful with an 8GByte RAM upgrade (any kind of experience with this)?

- what exactly does the BIOS mod work for:

:- is it "only" for a hassle free kind of installation?

:- is it working transparent (like EFI-X) or does it need any kind of boot procedure?

:- is it covering any kind of OS upgrade problems?

- is the BIOS mod working for the M6300 too?

- could not find any information about the M4400, does there exist any user with experience on it?

- I like the heavy and alu design of the M6300 and would like to get known, if it will be the same with the M4300?

- any experience about battery usage under MacOS X Lion are welcome

There are plenty of interesting offers on eB... and it is hard to decide. Is the D830-NVidia perfectly suited as well as a M4300 or are there any significant difference with the body case?

Kind Regards and thank you in advance

• Administrators

- is it possible to install a UMTS card with that units only with "installing" the right PCIe card or do they need any additionally work (antenna, SIM card slot)?

Yes, just go with the card recommend on the Wiki, those are certified to work with OSX on D models atleast (i havent tested on any of the models you are look at)

- does anyone tried or can be helpful with an 8GByte RAM upgrade (any kind of experience with this)?

More memory is allways good

- what exactly does the BIOS mod work for:

It adds modifications to your bios needed to run OSX, while its not required because those can be applied using dsdt.aml in /Extra

:- is it "only" for a hassle free kind of installation?

Yes

:- is it working transparent (like EFI-X) or does it need any kind of boot procedure?

Dont know, havent tested EFI-X

:- is it covering any kind of OS upgrade problems?

No

- is the BIOS mod working for the M6300 too?

No

- could not find any information about the M4400, does there exist any user with experience on it?

that model is not covered by us .. yet.. :)

- I like the heavy and alu design of the M6300 and would like to get known, if it will be the same with the M4300?

No idea mate

- any experience about battery usage under MacOS X Lion are welcome

Dont know what to say here.. seems the same as under SL.. depends offcourse how you use the machine.. but thats common for any OS

that model is not covered by us .. yet.. :)

[/b]

I am using the Precision M4400/nVidia working with Lion 10.7.2 using the M4300 choice. Everything works but battery (always show 0%) and sleep will not work. Haven't tried to get the fingerprint reader working. Never used it in Windows either.

Regards