USB Configuration Seagate Hybrid Install

Freedomrock

First thanks for providing what looks like the perfect site! I have a Dell d630 with Intel graphics, 4 MB RAM. I have a working 630 10.6.3 configuration using Slic Install with a few variations. Everything works except external video.

I want to remove the existing 60 GB hd and replace with Seagate Hybrid 500 GB. I have an original OSX 10.3 install disk. I wanted to upgrade to latest Snow Leopard in the process. I wanted to try the solution offered on this site. I am hoping a dedicated Dell solution would be the best.

I know how to update the bios. I see there is a custom bios for D630 with intel video. Is this the first step before booting off USB? I currently have the A17 bios with proper ACHI settings. Is this Hybrid drive ok?

I am able to restore OSX Install DVD to USB drive. When I try to install Chameleon to USB I receive an error message, says something about this disk is not running OSX. I think I can follow the rest of the instructions but I must be missing something obvious. How do I install Chameleon on the USB?

If I use custom bios is everything else the same on USB install?

Do I upgrade Snow Leopard after running EDP?

If I can't make this work do you guys know if I can use something like Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing hd to the hybrid drive? My goal was for a fresh install but I will take what I can get. If any of you gurus can walk me through this I would be most thankful. I somehow figured out how to do this in the past. Swapping out hard drives is easy, is there a way to do this hanging the new 500 GB hd off my Mac? I already have an 2.5 External USB enclosure.

So in summary.....

Will this work with the Seagate 500 GB SATA Hybrid drive?

How do I install bootloader on USB?

When do I update to custom bios? First?

I realize I need to be on-line to upgrade OSX SL, do I need to be on-line for any other part of this process?

At what point in this process should I upgrade from 10.6.3 to 10.6.8?

Would it be easier attaching new drive and configure from Mac?

Am I better off using Carbon Copy to clone my existing drive and restoring to hybrid drive?

Regards,

Freedomrock Noobie

Ever since I upgraded to Lion my Mini server has had an on and off again problem reading USB drives. After trying a different USB drive I was able to install Chameleon. I installed OS X 10.6.3 using the USB method described on the wiki. The install went fine but after running EDP and rebooting I am being prompted to restart over and over. I repaired permissions prior to reboot.

Is there a way to determine what is causing the problem? I have a good install on a 60 GB drive but i want to try and use this Seagate 500 GB Hybrid Drive. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot?

Thanks in advance.

Freedomrrock

Thanks for your response. I went ahead with a clean install of 6.3.3. I don't have laptop keyboard or wireless working. Everything else is ok. USB Keyboard works but there must be a way to get my keyboard working. Any ideas?

I have a Dell 1395 wireless card. Do you know if I can make this work? Do I need to rebrand or just buy something different? I have posted this else where but I am not getting much help. Once i get this semi-stable I will clone and then try upgrade to 6.8.

Thanks - Freedomrock

using edp 1.92 you can select 1 of 4 possible choices for keyboard/trackpad.Try each until one of them works. If not i can give you an optional package for it that i got from a my hack install package.As far as wireless you need to grab one from ebay.

Thanks, I saw your other response. I did try all 4 mouse kext options. I must be doing something wrong. If you see my other response let me know if i am doing this process correctly? Also thanks for your offer. It sounds like I should make this work. If not I may ask you for the file you mention.

Freedomrock

check your email. Thanks again!

Thank You Raistlin5! I ran the installer and all is well. I have upgraded my hard drive and everything is running except wi-fi. The new drive does a full boot in 35 seconds. Not bad considering there is a boot loader and I need to hit enter. I will look into ordering a new card.

Freedomrock

Edited by Freedomrock