Can't dump bios (Inspiron 5548)

themightyquinn

• Moderators

Can you post the error when using the DSDT with dropOEM enabled?

I think you mean Karabiner with the private.xml file didn't work? Did you reload the xml and enable them?

Remap Brightness Key' & 'Remap Volumes Key'

Haha, sorry, yes...Karabiner, and yes I reloaded the xml and enabled them.  I don't have brightness controls in the display control panel, so I assume the hotkeys are remapped successfully they just won't work until I get OSX control over brightness.  My sound hotkeys work, so I didn't enable that checkbox.  

Doublechecked webcam and that doesn't work, although "in use" LED lights up and will stay lit up through reboots,  not sure what's going on with that... 

I'll reboot right now and take a picture of the error that I get with dropOEM.  Are my current DSDTs ok, or do you want me to swap yours back in? 

Thank you!

This isn't the error I remember getting earlier this morning, but it's the same freeze point that I got the files you sent and dropOEM.  I googled for the last line, but didn't turn up much,  it shows up without dropOEM and booting proceeds normally past it, so I'm not sure how much it has to do with things.

Qy8UbGm.jpg

EDIT:  The only thing that I can think of that's non-standard from most people is that I still have the stock AC3160 wireless card in place.  I wasn't 100% sure whether it used NGFF m.2 so I figured I'd wait until I had the machine to order, and the machine has a cracked upper case which I'll be replacing so I figured I'd hold off any surgery until I'm ready to do that swap.  

• Moderators

If your DSDT is working so far with DropOEM enabled, try adding these to your DSDT:

Rename B0D3 to HDAU = for HDMI Audio

Rename GFX0 to IGPU = power management

OS X Check Fix (Windows 8)

USB series 7/ series 8

RTC fix

Fix Mutex

Hi Jake, 

Thanks for all your help and input! 

I disabled the SSDT and DSDTs by hand and narrowed it down to the DSDT.  It's something to do with the HDAU and IGPU patches.  With them installed together or separately they'll freeze the machine at the point shown, or at a USBMSC Identifier error.  Both of those show up during a regular boot without the patches though,  so I don't think it's any help in troubleshooting.  Not really sure what's going on.  I can live without HDMI audio or GPU powersaving, but brightness is pretty nice to have on a laptop  :-P

I installed the other patches you listed, without a problem, but it still hangs on boot as soon as I apply the HDAU or iGPU patches.   :|  Not really sure where to look next.

Thanks for all your help, both on this and on everyone else's stuff.  Your posts and guides, etc made me think this was a possibility. 

Got almost everything working.  I'm not sure why your files didn't work, but the ones that I patched it turns out that I must have missed patching SSDT-6 for B0D3->HDAU and GFX0->iGPU. That's why DropOEM was freezing things. 

For my records as well as anyone who might be having issues similar to mine where the "stock" setup doesn't work here's what I did:

Changed DVMT in BIOS to 96mb (This change seems to persist even through BIOS updates)

Booted Windows just in case that makes a difference. 

Booted installer with origin ACPI files + Bootpack DSDT file

Once I did all the install guide busywork (Clover, kexts, etc) I patched ACPI files

DSDT:

Sound

_DSM rename

Audio Layout 3

IRQ fix

ALC255 kext

*control keys work without add-ons

Change HDAU layout ID to 0x03 0x00 0x00 0x00

Graphics

GFX0->iGPU

B0D3->HDAU

Brightness

iGPU brightness fix

*brightness keys work without add-ons

Battery

Dell Inspiron 5548 battery patch

Sleep

USB3_PRW 0x6D (instant wake) patch

SSDT-6:

Graphics

GFX0->iGPU

B0D3->HDAU

Current issues:

Haven't tested HDMI audio yet, but it seems like it's recognized in system profiler

Was fixed by changing HDAU to match HDEF layout-id (0x03, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00), adding the (4) port 105 display port to HDMI kext patches (change connector to 00 08)

Wifi added with bcm94352z & FakePCIID & BRCM kexts.  

Webcam turns on in Photo Booth, and recognized by Hangouts, but green light stays on (sometimes through restarts) and no image displays.