Throttle Through Improper Adapter

lyrical1278

So, I have a Dell D830 running Sierra.  The problem I am having is I have a 65w power Adapter which causes the laptop to run in sort of a low power mode.

Now, I know in Linux, you can input a line of code into the Grub bootloader to cause Linux to ignore this mode and run the CPU at full power..  I was wondering, is there something similar for MacOS or Clover (I run Clover on my D830 AND my E6520)

Thanks in advance for any advice given (I'm REALLY hoping I don't have to spend any more money for ANOTHER adapter, I JUST upgraded my E6520 with a bunch of gear)

Also, the one way I have found around this is to boot into MacOS without the adapter plugged in and then, once it boots up fully, plug the adapter back in.

But, this seems quite a bit when I just want to fire the thing up.

• Administrators

D8xx are meant to run on 90W mains adapter. You're probably are or were given a message at start-up informing you that your adapter could not be determined and that this may prevent system performance. Note that this may also happen if your power adapter cable is damaged.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/SLN148385/ac-adapter-error-message-occurs?lang=EN

I'm not aware of any Clover option or macOS parameter that could bypass this Dell safety matter. Considering the price of an adapter (we're talking less than 10€/$), I'd advise you to go for it.

The workaround you mentioned sounds quite far from being a hardship...