E7250 and Sierra

winapenny

I have the intel i5-5300U, it says in this thread somewhere that it does not have to be modified to 96MB, the default of 64MB ("video memory" in the bios) is fine. Does the mod still have to be done?

As somebody else in this thread had the issue with a kernel panic, removing the ig-platform-id is the only way for the setup to not panic and actually start.

I changed it back to the sierra files, I will check now if it works...

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god. It actually does work, the disk is showing up now. Using those old E7x50_Clover files led to the whole issue. I'll try installing it now. Thank you so much, you have no idea how glad I am...

/edit: It booted successfully. There is no kext loaded for graphics yet, but hopefully with the information in this thread I'll be able to make it work.

• Moderators

that's your choice. make sure to use the correct one for Sierra

Comment: Broadwell minStolenSize patch (credit RehabMan based on original by Austere.J)

Name: AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer
MatchOS: 10.12.x
Find:    
Replace:

That did not work. I patched the file /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer.kext/Contents/MacOS/AppleIntelBDWGraphicsFramebuffer with

Find: 89 45 C8 39 C7 76 4F

Replace: 89 45 C8 39 C7 eb 4F

but the same kernel panic occurs on startup. Maybe I patched the wrong file, or I patched it with the wrong values?

My ig-platform-id in the config.plist is 0x16260006, that is unchanged from the files you provided. Perhaps that's not the right hex value to inject?

I'll keep reading, thanks for the assistance, I appreciate it!

I see. I am wondering if the DVMT change will actually work, since the patch method I used should have worked as well and it did not. There is something in the firewolf instruction that I probably should double check:

Then open your DSDT, find Device (GFX0) or Device (IGPU) or Name (_ADR, 0x00020000) and add the Device-Specific Method.

Not sure if that is already applied.

So much for working perfectly: I checked the values in windows, they were as expected 0x15b and 0x15c. Then I changed them to 0x3 which worked as well.

Now when I double-check the changes by entering setup_var 0x15b (I rebooted first to make sure the changes were actually saved) I receive:

successfully obtained "setup" variable from VSS

expected a differentt size of the setup variable. continue with care...

offset 0x15b is: 003

So the change was done in BIOS, but the "dedicated video memory" entry in Windows remains at 128MB and in BIOS it keeps showing 64MB, macOS Sierra still panics. It all looks the same.

I followed the guide to the latter (because obviously I didn't want to damage the BIOS), so I don't know what I am supposed to do next...