High Sierra on E6430 with nVidia GPU?

MrPerfectSR

Did anyone get the NVIDIA NVS 5200M running in High Sierra? I tried a lot of guides without success. The only success I have is that I think the notebook is booting correctly but with a black screen (blank screen). The same via HDMI. It is shortly showing the Apple Logo and Progress Bar then it is black. 

I like to have the NVIDIA running for improving the graphic performance of Minecraft (for my son ;-)

Thank You!

I have an E6430 with used a DSDT that disabled NVIDIA and a AptioMemoryFix.efi and HD4000 graphics are working perfectly.  I won't have use of the HDMI port,  but I don't need it.  I am running 10.13.2 with APFS, the security update and it's been solid otherwise.  The laptop runs much cooler with NVIDIA disabled and on macOS, I don't notice a difference in performance - HD4000 is more than adequate for my needs.  

Thanks to Jake Lo and Bronxteck for their assistance.   

So no, I don't have NVIDIA working.  But even when it was, I wasn't happy with the heat.  I like this better.

I've attached my EFI - that should get you up and running on High Sierra if you can access your EFI partition and replace the EFI folder.

EFI.zip

• Like 1

I have an E6430 with used a DSDT that disabled NVIDIA and a AptioMemoryFix.efi and HD4000 graphics are working perfectly.  I won't have use of the HDMI port,  but I don't need it.  I am running 10.13.2 with APFS, the security update and it's been solid otherwise.  The laptop runs much cooler with NVIDIA disabled and on macOS, I don't notice a difference in performance - HD4000 is more than adequate for my needs.  

Thanks to Jake Lo and Bronxteck for their assistance.   

So no, I don't have NVIDIA working.  But even when it was, I wasn't happy with the heat.  I like this better.

I've attached my EFI - that should get you up and running on High Sierra if you can access your EFI partition and replace the EFI folder.

I tried your EFI bootpack on my E6530 with A17 BIOS & 1366x768. (I got that laptop for free from recycle. I saw original 1080p screen got broken. I replaced it with 1366x768 screen replacement from dead HP laptop). Now, screen went down dim then 100% black when macOS is entering graphical installer or booting is done (10.13.3). I tried VGA. No signal. Any tip?

Edit: I replaced DSDT.aml with another DSDT HD 4000 patch. Now, stuck at apple logo with wheel spinning here is example https://i.redd.it/m0ik3owl2th01.jpg

I can't get graphical installer when boot is done

I like to have the NVIDIA running for improving the graphic performance of Minecraft (for my son ;-)

Oh, do not forget NVIDIA NVS 5200M is not designed for gaming like Minecraft. Intel HD 4000 has more fps than NVS 5200M.

Do you mean video connector cable? Yes, I think I have DualLink for original 1920x1080 screen. It is works with 1366x768 screen in Windows 10 I am currently using.

Sadly, 1920x1080 screen replacement is expensive today. How about 1600x900 for DualLink?

Edit: I'll try look for SingleLink cable for 1366x768 if I cant afford screen replacement.

Now, I see why. I am currently using DualLink ribbon cable on 1366x768 SingleLink-screen which it is bad idea for Intel HD 4000 but Nvidia NVS 4200M chip can accept it in Windows 10 and Linux. It make sense. Thanks for tip. I'll do my best to find 1600x900 or 1920x1080 DualLink-screen.