Need multiple monitors

mattj88

Hi - 

I would like to use multiple monitors (2 external plus the laptop screen).  I would like to setup a video editing suite.  I didn't think about this when I chose my E6540 platform.  It doesn't have a DisplayPort connection like my E6400's. :)  I do have an HDMI port and one VGA port.  The VGA port outputs nothing.  The HDMI port worked on my HDMI television screen, though it was wonky.  It worked on one of the HMDI inputs on the television, but not on the other.  The other input caused the laptop to become super sluggish and the laptop desktop didn't show up on the television.  I imagine I may need a patch still (I just barely got the basics working on the Hackintosh :) ).

I read a bit about using HDMI for multiple monitor setups, and saw this might be challenging for multiple displays.  I currently have two external monitors, both with DVI and VGA connections only.  I suspect I could get adapters of some kind, but I'm a novice at best with the Hackintosh and wonder if I'll have trouble with adapters working out of the box.  I have a PRO2X docking station that isn't recognized by the Hackintosh yet, and I researched into it, but at first glance it looks like it might be tough.  Looks like the newer port replicators might be easier of I purchase one of those.  

Should I shy away from trying to get multiple monitors working though HDMI?  If I need to purchase some additional hardware, I can definitely do that.  What would you all recommend?

• Administrators

PRO2X in v1 (USB2) or v2 (USB3) versions are  supported and you can get dual display off it as detailed in the suggested thread. Dual DVI, dual DP, DVI + HDMI, DP + HDMI, DVI + DP should all be supported as long as you patch your Azul framebuffer kext accordingly, knowing that you can only have a maximum of 2 x external displays on top of the built-in LCD.