D520 (GMA 950) Display sleep

bobdamnit

Thanks, Bronx, for testing this out for me. I'm not losing my marbles! YAAAY!

Also, that is exactly the script that we used to use back in Tiger/Leopard to fix this issue. I couldn't remember the name of it, so thanks for that also. 

I will definitely give SleepWatcher a try. I haven't tried switching display resolution as a fix, but only because I cannot wake the screen up to switch resolution. (There is no hot key for it. I suppose I could try to set one with Ukelele though.) And once I get the display woken back up, it doesn't really matter lol.

Like I said, I'm not really looking for a fix. Just confirmation that I'm not the only one with this problem. (Also, it wouldn't be a problem for most. As far as I know, I'm the only one that closes my lid without having the machine go to sleep. I do this because it is a mobile computer shared between me, my girlfriend, and the television lol. I like to close the lid while I transfer it from point to point in the house.)

• Administrators

hmm this cscreen is interesting..... i wonder if it would show what resolutions the screen has in mirror mode or force set a correct resolution?

$ cscreen
1 display found
Index Depth Width Height Refresh(Hz; LCD displays show 0)
1 32 2560 1440 0

$ cscreen -h
Usage: cscreen [-d ] [-x ] [-y ] [-r ] [-s ] [-v] [-m] [-f] [-l] [-h]
[-d ] : specifies the bit depth (bits per pixel)
[-x ] : specifies the width in pixels
[-y ] : specifies the height in pixels
[-r ] : specifies the refresh rate in Hz
[-s ] : specifies which display to use (defaults to main display)
use a as the option to -s to specify the action on all displays
[-v]: display valid modes (use -s to specify display or nothing for the default)
[-m] : require an exact match
[-f]: forces settings (ignores safety mechanisms; USE AT YOUR OWN RISK)
[-l]: lists the current displays and modes
[-p]: sets the requested display to be the primary display
[-h]: displays the usage

Ok, I could see how that works. 

I gave SleepWatcher a shot. I used the following code:

#!/bin/sh

PMSET_NUMBER=107374183
PMSET=/usr/bin/pmset
GREP=/usr/bin/grep
AWK=/usr/bin/awk
SLEEP=/bin/sleep

$PMSET force -a displaysleep $PMSET_NUMBER
$SLEEP 1
$PMSET force -a displaysleep `$PMSET -g | $GREP displaysleep | $AWK '{print $2}'`
$SLEEP 1

It will sleep and wake the display fine. However, after closing the lid, it doesn't wake the display at all. I think it is because it is executing the display wake/sleep via PMSET instead of a hot corner. (I'm not sure how the hot corner forces the display to sleep. It may even be PMSET, however I'm not executing it the same way.)

I will look into cscreen though. If anything, it seems interesting in forcing my television to supported modes that OS X wont show. ;)

"SleepLess" has an option to "Prevent sleep with lid closed, display's will NOT sleep". This means that neither the computer or the lid will sleep/turn off when I close the lid.

I enabled this setting. Then I closed the lid. Sure enough, the display was shut off, however the computer was still running. :(

So I used the hot corner to bring the display back to life. Then I opened a Terminal and fired up cscreen and fed it the correct parameters but did NOT push enter and left Terminal/cscreen the active app. Then I shut the lid, and opened the lid. The display was shut off like I expected, so I tapped the enter key so that Terminal/cscreen would execute my command. No juice. I changed the resolution to 800x600x32, however the display never woke up. So I used the hot corner to bring the display back to life, and low and behold, the resolution was at 800x600. So cscreen is working like it should, but it is not waking the display up like I had hoped. :(

It must have something to do with the lid close button in DSDT. There's a little lid close button/tab to the right of the power button that is pressed when you close the lid. (I'm attaching a picture of mine.) I think this is the causing the issue, to be honest. Remember, clamshell sleep is also tied to this button, and that works. So thats why I think this is a DSDT problem. Or it could just be the fact that I'm running OS X on a Dell. :P

(Picture of display close button)

post-856-0-30336100-1354915111_thumb.jpg

Sorry for such a terrible quality. I used my phone :(

I think this is something I just have to deal with. I may take the power button strip above the keyboard off and remove the lid close button altogether and just remember to sleep the display with a hot corner. The only reason I don't like this idea is because that will completely disable clamshell sleep, instead of me disabling it when I want via "SleepLess". (Clamshell sleep relies on that lid close button being pressed. Remove the button, remove the feature.)