D420 Performance

sitkom

Hi,

Long time reader, first time poster. Dell D420, CoreDuo, Broadcomm wifi, 945GMA 1.5GB RAM, 60GB Disk.

Don't have a MAC, so i created USB install via VMware. That in itself was quite an exercise having to unlock the VM Workstation to recognize the MAC OS, etc.

So, with the help of myHack3.1, I created Snow Leopard install. In attempting -v boot/install from the myHack drive, boot screen would get to the ALPS GlidePoint 8.99 drivers and then the screen would flash a couple of lines about the ACPI, go grey and then blank. After a lot more searching/reading trying every boot flag known to man, I discovered there's a custom BIOS that would help. Loaded tweaked BIOS this morning and viola' the install screen appeared and 10.6.3 installed! The cusom BIOS precludes the need for a special DSDT file I understand.

Also, during the install, I had myHack load the standard extras. At one point the myHack extras installer prompted me if I wanted to remove a file that was used for HDCP content but created mouse/display lag issues with NVidia graphics controllers. Since I knew I had an Intel GMA 945, I chose to keep it. I wonder if this created a problem...

So the problem is the mouse and graphics were/are *incredibly* laggy and so I installed the 1.9.2 EDP. The issue remains. Installed the GMA accelerator. Issue remains. You move the mouse and the pointer may move in 2-4 seconds. Makes it incredibly difficult to use. Screen is laggy as well even with the acceleration. Note that in both these cases where I applied the EDP and GMA accelerator the USB myHack installer drive was connected, though I booted from the internal HDD. This presented the boot screen where one could enter their own boot flags ( -v -f -x, etc.) I have since disconnected the myHack and now I get the OSXLatitude logo'ed start screen with no option to input my own flags, just able to select the small list using the arrow keys.

When I rebooted after disconnecting the myHack USB, it took 3 reboots to get to the main screen (Finder/Drawer/etc.)

Once it started up, in the "About this Mac" it shows the processor as a Core 2 Duo even though it is only a CoreDuo. Everything else looks OK. Reboots are not an issue any longer.

Aside from the lagging graphics/mouse performance, the Broadcomm wifi doesn't seem to be working but that is secondary.

Any ideas what is going on? I did not install a bootloader after the EDP since I thought that was done for me automatically. Correct me if that is not accurate.

I have since reconnected the myHack USB and tried the USBBusFix=Yes, PCIRoot=1, -x safe mode. No change. Also the fan seems to be running fairly high as though the cpu is working overtime even though the system isn't doing anything but showing the standard screen with the app drawer.

Since I am far from Mac proficient, I'll need some pretty explicit guidance on volume/files/directories/etc. if I need to change anything.

Thanks in advance for the assistance and guidance!

-Ted

Perhaps instead of getting feedback, I'll just use this as a journal of my journey with OSX.

Went into bios and *disabled* multi-core emulation. Bingo. No more mouse or graphics lag.

Also, I saw another post that mentioned their CPU was running at 800 mhz instead of 1.2 GHz. This happens when you disable SpeedStep in the bios. Turn on SpeedStep and turn off multi-core and it appears everything works (with the exception of audio at this point).

In the "About This Mac" it does say it is a Core Solo, so I feel I'm leaving some horsepower on the table. Anyone have any other experience with this?

• Administrators

it sound like you have not used edp to build for your machine.... lagging like that is usually lack of voodootscsync.kext in your extra folder, no audio and wifi is also a sure sign of that as the bootpack is just that a bare bones folder to get you installed... it is not a full solution. installing and running edp is, cheers

it sound like you have not used edp to build for your machine.... lagging like that is usually lack of voodootscsync.kext in your extra folder, no audio and wifi is also a sure sign of that as the bootpack is just that a bare bones folder to get you installed... it is not a full solution. installing and running edp is, cheers

I thought I did when I loaded EDP 1.9.2. Perhaps I screwed the pooch on that one, so I'll re-do it. Can't hurt to re-run it I suppose. Funny how it's usually the simple stuff...

Thanks!

I thought I did when I loaded EDP 1.9.2. Perhaps I screwed the pooch on that one, so I'll re-do it. Can't hurt to re-run it I suppose. Funny how it's usually the simple stuff...

Thanks!

So. I did run the 1.9.2 edp. Reran it and no change. It was running like a champ on 10.6.3... like a chump on 10.6.8. Argh. Any suggestions?

Dear sitcom,

Have you run myfix full mode on your system after running EDP?

Cheers!

I did boot to the myHack drive and while in the OSX Setup screen I ran myFix 'full' on the root volume (internal HDD) in an attempt to fix the 10.6.8 environment. No change. 10.6.8 environment running slower than 10.6.3 and Airport config *very slow* (pinwheels for a minute+) and unable to acquire IP address. Airport turns on and sees the AP, connects but cannot grab an IP via DHCP. Worked fine in 10.6.3. I re-ran the EDP, but I have not re-run myFix again. Will do that this evening.

A few basic questions:

* When installing a bootpack, does one simply extract the contents into the root directory (so the folders line up) or do you run some sort of app to install? I noticed the hard way that if you just drop kexts into the extras directory, the Kernel has a hissy-fit.

* Does myFix install a bootpack? Do I need to do anything after running myFix?

* I'm still operating in single core mode (via bios) but the video and mouse lag are gone. Will the d420 with CoreDuo always operate in single core mode or will these kexts, etc. fix this issue? Follow-up Q: Is the CoreDuo a real 'dual core' or is it only a software emulated dual core?

Thanks again for the continued assistance!

idk sounds like maybe you need to use some older kexts? from 10.6.7, like ioatafamily or iopcifamily, and maybe your wifi kext? io80something kext...

Like most mysterious things with this migration, it fixed itself after re-applying the 1.9.2 EDP and loading the Extras from the d420 bootpack via myHack. Can I get a 'whoop! whoop!'

All good. WiFi, Audio, etc. SD card reader's still inop, but from the reading I've been doing it appears that the SD reader is a tough one to tackle in Dell OSX-land.

Thanks for the guidance, folks! B)