E6420 (NVS 4200M): High Sierra running but buggy graphics

TheRobster5555

So I'm back after a while again, and I have successfully installed HS, but 1 thing is bugging me. the Intel graphics are artifacting like crazy, is this happening to anyone else?

EDIT: I attached a screenshot of some of the artifacting. Other weird things happened, like the dock disappearing.

Screen Shot 2018-04-25 at 2.21.48 PM.png

• Administrators

Graphics artifacts are pretty common with many Hackintoshes running with HD3000 graphics. Got the same with my E6220 from El Capitan/Sierra onwards. Was Ok up to Yosemite. Things improved greatly after I upgraded RAM to 8GB but I still get the occasional lines across the screen. It seems to get worse after multiple Sleep/Wake.

The patch to increase VRAM does not really help much. Could be an EDID issue; never really got into it...

I put in a 4 GB stick to go with my other 2 GB stick, and that did improve it, though with the Nvidia 4200m not being supported, that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me as the only way to get a D630 working on Sierra is to have the Nvidia chip... Seems kind of strange to me but okay... THANKS APPLE.

• Administrators

No comparison to be made with the D630. That old model does not have Optimus/dual graphics (and Optimus is not supported under OS X/macOS) but either Intel GMA X3100 or Nvidia NVS 135m. The former GPU was last supported in Lion whereas the latter remains supported in High Sierra (because it is Tesla).

On the other hand, the NVS 4200m is not supported in macOS versions (because it's Fermi GF119).