Computer running at least Mac OS X Leopard

D620 with NVidia or Intel GMA950 Graphics

Intel Centrino, Core Duo or Core 2 Duo CPU

2 GB of RAM or more

20 GB of hard drive space or more.

Mac OS X Snow Leopard

8 GB or bigger flash drive.

EDP 1.9.2

Insert your Snow Leopard install DVD or if you have a DMG image that works too. Go to disk utility and format a USB stick with Master Boot Record and Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Go to the Restore tab, and for source, click "Image" and select your Snow Leopard DMG file or from the DVD menu if you have the DVD version. For destination, drag your formatted USB drive to the destination section. If you are making it on Snow Leopard, be sure "Erase Destination" is selected. On Lion and Mountain Lion it does it by itself. and then click restore. Enter root password and let it copy away!

Now download the latest certified Chameleon bootloader from here: http://www.osxlatitude.com/files/Chameleon.pkg

If you have Dell Latitude D620 with Intel graphics, download and copy this Extra folder to your USB stick: http://www.osxlatitude.com/packs/Dell/Dell_Latitude_D620-intel-sl.zip

If you have Dell Latitude D620 with Intel graphics, download and copy this Extra folder to your USB stick: http://www.osxlatitude.com/packs/Dell/Dell_Latitude_D620-nvidia-sl.zip

Now boot from your USB stick using "-v" or "-v -f -x" and then install OS X. Make sure the hard drive is formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID Partition Table. Now install and when it's done, update to 10.6.8 and run EDP 1.9.2 and make a build. Now reboot. Done!

• Administrators

When installing on HDD with existing Win/MBR partition (that you want to retain), do not copy "Extra" folder to USB key prior to installation, but directly to HDD right after installation. Otherwise, it's impossible to install the OS on newly created & formatted Mac OS X partition as installer will want GUID partitioned disk only.

Here's my method with Nawcom's boot utility, SL 10.6.3 retail DVD and EDP 1.9.2...

Hardware used:

D620 with C2D T7200 @2.0GHz

4Go DDR2-667 RAM, 320GO SATA HDD

Broadcom 1490 Wireless

nVidia Quadro NVS 110M (64Mb)

WXGA+ 1440x900 LCD

Audio Sigmatel 9200

1) D620 being already configured with Win7, the target was a dual-boot laptop. Existing single Win7 MBR partition was therefore reduced from within Windows to begin with. Then a new main MBR partition was created on the recovered disk space and formatted NTFS.

2) Boot using either ModCD+SL 10.6.3 DVD or ModUSB/SL10.6.3 USB key. The former does not require an existing Mac/Hack, the latter does.

3) Format spare MBR partition Mac OS X (Journaled) and install SL on it.

4) Reboot on ModCD/ModUSB and select newly installed SL partition.

5) Complete initial installation settings to get to basic running SL system.

6) Install SL 10.6.8 Combo update but do not restart

7) Copy above model-specific /Extra folder to HDD root

8) Install and run EDP 1.9.2 (model-specific kexts + Chameleon + Hibernation fix, etc.)

9) Install Ukelele + DoubleCommand for correct keyboard mappings

Et voilà...

myHack's USB Creation patches OSInstall.mpkg to allow installation on MBR partitions, the Extra has nothing to do with that. Furthermore, the Extra has to be copied to the USB stick to allow the installer to boot, then copy the Extra folder from the USB pen to the hard drive during installation. I don't trust ModCD... it sucks :)

• Administrators

Well... I wouldn't say it sucks, but Ok, I understand myHack is favoured over here. No offense meant... :$

I've tried to use myHack a couple of times for SL (maybe incorrectly) but had more difficulties with it than with the other installer, which I find very simple to use. Why? Because it allows me to boot straight into the installed OS without kernel flags or options before I proceed with EDP + Bootpack contents (/Extra folder) installation and it has the merit of being able to proceed without an existing Mac OS computer.

Point taken about the /Extra folder, it just proved incompatible with my "non-myHack" installation method. All of this just contributes to my own knowledge of installation methods.

I'm going to give Lion a try, so that'll be my opportunity to switch to myHack. ;)

• Administrators

Sounds like your installation USB key is invalid: it's not booting. Re-install Chameleon on it and give it a try, or re-un myHack completely if that is what you used.

For SL, I was always using ModCD, not myHack, so here's an opportunity to play again! B) (sad...)