Updating Lion on Dell D620

awilkins3232330

Hello,

I am new here so I am not sure if there is somewhere that this is covered. So I am posting here. A friend asked me try to make his old D620(GMA) into a Hackintosh. I have been mostly successful in installing and running Lion(10.7) (except Wifi). My question is how do I update the OS beyond 10.7, to say 10.2 ect.

Thanks!

Hello,

I am new here so I am not sure if there is somewhere that this is covered. So I am posting here. A friend asked me try to make his old D620(GMA) into a Hackintosh. I have been mostly successful in installing and running Lion(10.7) (except Wifi). My question is how do I update the OS beyond 10.7, to say 10.2 ect.

Thanks!

The OSXL guide here is great: http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp/pre-installation/

But it doesn't mention the detail of updates and troubleshooting hardware issues (thats what the forum is used for until FAQ is populated with common issues).

Do you know what wifi card is in the Dell? Intel cards do not work with 10.7 and the card will need swapping out with a broadcom one - DW1395 cards are common and cheap - a few quid/dollars on ebay. Card on D6xx series is under the keyboard (F4/F5 area) - check the Dell for workshops manuals - very simple to get access.

My recent experience of a 10.7.4 update may be useful software wise: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1626-fresh-setup-no-wifi-or-ethernet/

Download the 10.7.4 combo update from Apple first and grab yourself a copy of the kext I mention - which you can find here via a forum search or via google.

To answer your first question about the Wifi card. Which is a different issue altogether. It had an Intel Wireless card. I swapped it out with a Broadcom one, not sure what model though, came from a about 5 year old junk HP. But I have had no luck getting it to work.

Back to the update.

I will download the combo update and the kext, try that and post my findings.

Bronxteck-

I am not sure what you mean just run updates if running EDP?

Ahh, my mistake. I forgot 10.7.5 isn't out in the wild yet.

But no, I haven't run Software updater. Should I? Just afraid of messing something up. :)

I have just gone to 10.7.4 and left the Airport and 10.7.4 supplemental update until I got confirmation these didn't mess anything up - all other updates will be OK.

I am new to this forum but I have looked prior to posting my question. I have successfully installed Lion on my D620. I have also updated it to 10.7.4. I have only one issue. I have no sound. There is nothing in system/sound for a device to choose from. I did add sunflower and it has no helped. I couldn't find any other post with no sound device available. I some one could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

Thanks