Apple BCM94360CD question!

macostrial099

Thank you so much for your suggestion re: Apple BCM94360CD Hervé!

My laptop is E6440, it has M.2 slot too in addition to WiFi slot! I wanted to move toward native card to have airdrop and bluetooth functionalities. 

Would airdrop and bluetooth work with BCM94360CD? does it need a Kext?

An edit: do I need an adaptor for M.2 slot for BCM94360CD, the card looks like it will match the M.2! 

• Administrators

As they say in the Dortania documentation, get to know your hardware 1st and foremost...

• There are no M.2 slots in the Latitude E6440. Otherwise you'd have had no need for your mini PCIe-to-M.2 adapter (just for antenna adapters). Do consult the E6440 owner's manual or Dell's own support forum where this was discussed many years ago.
  • The Latitude E6440 has 3 x mini-PCIe slots: 1 x full size (WWAN) which is combo PCIe/USB/mSATA (the one to use for a combo wifi+BT card) and 2 x half-size (WLAN + 2nd one under the WWAN slot). I know, I once had an E6440. I'm pretty sure we also have at least 1 old thread in which I actually illustrated those slots. Do use for forum Search facility...
  • Space is a little tight for a BCM94360CD in the E6440 but I think it would fit in the WWAN slot. I'll give you the card's measurements.
  • Re: Apple BCM94360CD, please refer to the dedicated thread we published back in 2014 in our R&D forum section.
  • Another alternative to your defective BCM94360NG installation is to opt for a BCM4352-based mini-PCIe card such as the DW1550. It's supported in Big Sur and I understand it remains so in macOS Monterey, so...
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Well it does say DW1550 on it, doesn't it? But, unlike an Apple Card, it does not work OOB though...

I've checked size of Apple's BCM94360CD on its mini-PCIe adapter (my leftover from the E6220 I sold last year) and it does fit exactly the size of a full-size mini-PCIe wireless card so I'd go for that.

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Of course you need a mini-PCIe adapter board for an Apple BCM94360CD card; please refer to our dedicated thread on the matter as stated above.

We also have a couple of inventories re: compatible/non-compatible cards. They cannot be exhaustive of course but look these up.

Mini-PCIe slots and cards have been deprecated since circa 2015 so you're highly unlikely to find what you wish for (a Big Sur compatible mini-PCIe card with BT 5.0).

As for Apple, they've long stopped using mini-PCIe cards in favour of their own proprietary interface...

• Thanks 1

• Administrators

Very old stuff my E6440 guide and research work but, yeah, those were the days...

Yes, this is the kind of adapter you need though you should be able to find it for much cheaper. Look it up.

To illustrate why you should feel safe about the BCM94360CD on a mini-PCIe adapter re: space/size:

BCM94360CD_vs_mini-PCIe.jpg

• Thanks 1