Dell D630 Lion: can't get to installer screen

Antoine

Hi:

First, thanks for all the work you've put into getting this stuff working!

I have a Dell D630 (in excellent condition, bought cheaply from eBay/Dell Canada). BIOS is A18;  Intel  Crestline graphics 1440x900.

I created a "boot stick" with myHack 3.1.2, using the appropriate EDP bootpack for Lion. I set the BIOS exactly as indicated on the forum post here. 

I get a Chameleon screen, but when it tries to boot, it panics, the backtrace ends at com.apple.driver.AppleAPIC. It also seems unhappy about org.voodoo.driver.PS2Controller, and something flashes by about an input stream.

Any hints on what I might do? Or what I might tell you all to help me figure it out. As far as I can tell, the panic logs aren't kept anywhere.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Hi, you should be Ok with bootpack for D630 Intel X3100 (1440x900). I assume this is the one you chose when running "install /Extra" from myHack.

Which version of Lion are you trying to install? Is it the installer that's failing or your boot attempts following installation? If you have an Intel wireless card, disable wifi or take the card out.

Hi, you should be Ok with bootpack for D630 Intel X3100 (1440x900). I assume this is the one you chose when running "install /Extra" from myHack.

Which version of Lion are you trying to install? Is it the installer that's failing or your boot attempts following installation? If you have an Intel wireless card, disable wifi or take the card out.

It's 10.7.4. The installer "boot stick" fails -- can't get to the installer menus. The wireless card is a Sigmatel. I've tried disabling it, and turning off the mechanical switch. Same results. 

• Administrators

Haaaa, you haven't done your homework deep/long enough... You cannot install Lion 10.7.4 directly. Or you encounter problems. It's been mentionned several times on the forum before.

You need a retail version like 10.7 or 10.7.2, at least something no higher than 10.7.3. Once you've installed one of those, our EDP tool will help you update to 10.7.5 smoothly, but, even then, make sure to download and use the "Combo update", do not update via Apple Menu -> Software update.

Also, SigmaTel makes audio cards, not wireless cards. So something tells me that they did NOT make your wireless card. ;)

Doh! You're right -- I was reading the wrong line in the BIOS. It's Broadcom. I'm not willing to remove it, though, because the machine came with XP Pro, which is very stable and I can read my email nicely with it.