Weird boot issue with D630 and SL/S/ML

dutchcow

• Administrators

technically you should be able to build edp on the stable machine for your specific model before swapping hdd's. if it works you can just clone it to another hdd in disk utility or one of those other cloning softwares like super duper or ccc carbon copy cloner

HD swapping didn't work. But I did some testing and it's definitely EDP messing something up. I decided to install the latest EDP on my D420 and low and behold, the same boot issue. Booted via usb and installed the old EDP 1.9.2 and everything works as it used to be. Something in the current EDP is causing this on my D420 and D630, I can test it tomorrow on my D820 too, but I'm quite sure this isn't a user error as restoring an older copy of EDP fixes all problems. I was lucky to have old copies, only for SL and Lion though 1.9.2/2.2.

• Administrators

Ok, there's a little bug in EDP which we'll fix tomorrow morning. This is due to introduction of Chameleon fix for iMessage, added to EDP today. Basically, you need to replace your "/boot" file by the boot file found in "/Extra/Storage". That's it, you'll be able to reboot normally afterwards.

Oh thank you for confirming it is a bug. I was close to the looney bin ;) Thanks for providing the EDP and this site. The funny thing is that on some machines like my D420 OSX runs miles faster than XP/Win7. Then again you can strip down OSX to about 4.5GB including all the apps I use with crap like iTunes/Quicktime removed. It takes ~700-800mb of ram. A lovely OS, too bad the hardware is just too expensive for the likes of me.

I'll wait for the next EDP version and give it another go! Cheers.