Question about minor D630 SL annoyances

jruschme

I recently installed SL (10.6.8) on my D630 (Intel graphics, 1280x800, Bios A17) using the instructions here. For the most part, everything works fine and I am very happy with the installation. I do have two minor annoyances, though, and am hoping that someone might have some advice:

1) Sometimes, upon waking from sleep, I lose the Bluetooth adapter (i.e., "no adapter connected") until I reboot. I'm not sure what version of the adapter I have (360, I think). Would changing models give me a more consistent result?

2) My wired ethernet connection also seems to sometimes go south after waking from sleep. In this case, it looks like the adapter is present, but not connected. I've tried plugging the cable into both the docking station and into the computer directly, but it makes no difference. Again, this persists until I reboot. (FWIW, I rate this more as an annoyance as I primarily use the Wireless (DW1390) connection.)

Thanks for any advice...

JR

• Administrators

Hi,

That bluetooth problem is a known issue. I spent quite some time on it with another forum member. Basically, it only happens with Snow Leopard and is not reproducible under Lion or Mountain Lion (on same hardware). I mentioned it here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1824-bluetooth-adapters-on-latitude-d-series-inspiron-laptops/

The wired Ethernet issue could be of the same nature.

I would recommend to upgrade to Lion or ML (now that it is supported on X3100) if you can.

Just in case, could you confirm whether or not you're using SleepEnabler kext? It's not required on the D630. Also, try and add the attached kext to /Extra/Extensions, in case it makes any difference (remember to re-run myFiax (full) afterwards). It's a kext Bronxteck worked on to better identify our DW350/DW360 BT adapters and allow BT enabling/disabling from menu bar icon.

CSRBluetoothHCIControllerUSBTransport.kext.zip

Hi,

That bluetooth problem is a known issue. I spent quite some time on it with another forum member. Basically, it only happens with Snow Leopard and is not reproducible under Lion or Mountain Lion (on same hardware). I mentioned it here: https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/1824-bluetooth-adapters-on-latitude-d-series-inspiron-laptops/

The wired Ethernet issue could be of the same nature.

I would recommend to upgrade to Lion or ML (now that it is supported on X3100) if you can.

I ended up upgrading to Lion, using a spare HD. That was fun... initially it wouldn't boot (GPT Error) until I installed the bootloader by hand. For a while, it wouldn't get an IP from my home wireless network, but that seems to have straightened out.

As for Bluetooth and Wired Ethernet, both now resume from sleep as they are supposed to.

One new nitnoid... My keyboard seems to work fine (except for the key to the left of "1", though Lion claims I don't have one. Instead, it starts the Bluetooth Keyboard Setup program on each boot. Any suggestions or should I just live with that one?

I tried your kext, but it doesn't seem to have an effect (i.e., I still can't turn BT on/off).

Thanks...

John

• Administrators

Re: keyboard, I recommend 2 tools to be used concurrently: Ukelele Logitech kexts (copy those you need to /Library/Keyboard Layouts) and DoubleCommand (that can be set to configure Home/End keys like on a PC and Win key like Apple key). Once your Logitech layouts are in place, open up Language & Text pref pane and select the Logitech keyboard in Input Sources tab.

With Ukelele Logitech layouts, your entire keyboard should be 100% operational.

Re: bluetooth at startup, go to Bluetooth pref pane and unselect both options (you may require the Ukelele files in place before you can do that, so that the keyboard is actually fully recognised).