D820 Sound Problem

jruschme

I recently installed SL on a D820 with a Core Duo and nVidia graphics. Everything seems to be working fine except for an issue I'm having with sound- IT'S TOO LOUD! :-)

Basically, at the lowest setting (one above mute), the sound is already loud. At the highest setting, it is extremely loud and distorted.

My previous experience has been with a D630 (Intel graphics) where sound seems to work as expected (quiet at low, loud at high).

Have any of you seen this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks...

JR

• Administrators

Which audio kext pack are you using?

With VoodooHDA, you can always adjust iGain and things like that. Look at the values in the kext Info.plist and modify as appropriate, knowing that you'll probably have to try different settings before you get what suits you. In you case, if VoodooHDA, you could try and reduce iGain from say 70 to 30, try that out and if still not satisfied, modify again.

I am using VoodooHDA. I changed the iGain setting (reset kcache, etc.) and it is better though still a bit loud. Still, I can mostly get by using the gain controls in individual applications (iTunes, etc.) so all is well.

Thanks...

JR