In general - do you avoid Repair Permissions with Disk Utility?

moonman

I have a few Dell hackintoshes with Snow Leopard or Lion: D430, D620, M4300. 

In general, is it okay to repair Permissions with Disk Utility? Or should you avoid that? 

Is an alternative to run myFix from myHack? 

Or better just to leave everything alone, unless problems arise? :-)

P.S.  wanted to say that, based on advice from Herve and others, I bought a Precision M4300 and am pretty satisfied. Got a good deal on eBay, about 130 euros shipped. What can I say? It's HUGE! But I love the monster 1920 x 1200 resolution! A bit heavy, but still less than the Powerbook 17" I had years ago.

I installed Lion, but found it a bit slowish. Okay, but I hoped for more speed. So I started over and installed Snow Leopard. Much faster. I'll stick with 10.6 for now, as all the software I use is compatible with Snow Leo too. 

• Administrators
In general, is it okay to repair Permissions with Disk Utility? Or should you avoid that? 

It's Okay to use when you have issues; and sometimes it's required to fix issues that are not solved with myFix.

I installed Lion, but found it a bit slowish. Okay, but I hoped for more speed. So I started over and installed Snow Leopard. Much faster. I'll stick with 10.6 for now, as all the software I use is compatible with Snow Leo too. 

Generally speaking, I personaly find that Lion is indeed not the best performer amonst the recent Mac OS X versions. I much prefer ML and/or Mavericks but I'm possibly biased as the graphics difference is huge between SL/L and ML/Mav. This being said, performance will also depend on the CPU you have and the amount of RAM you have.

As an example, I replaced the T7500 CPU of my D630 nVidia by a T9300 and the improvement is quite noticeable. The laptop feels much more responsive. I'm also running off an SSD and that is without comparison to a traditional HDD.

Your M4300, being based on the GM965 chipset, supports the same sort of upgrades.