Dell E6430 - upgrading parts

khronnuz

are you sure the drive is seated correctly? also have you tried maybe booting to a live linux to see if it actually is working. those drives do tend to fail.

Hmm. Because of the 'No Drives' issue, I didn't test it with an actual disk before, It actually reads a CD from Mac. It mounts the disk, but the upper menu 'No drives' remains. Also, on 'Disc Burning' section of 'System Information', it says: No disc burning device was found. If the device is external, make sure it’s connected and turned on.

The DVD shows up on SATA section as follows:

HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM DU70N:

Capacity: 207.4 MB (207,420,528 bytes)

Model: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM DU70N                  

Revision: D102    

Serial Number: KLGC9LK5309         

Native Command Queuing: No

Removable Media: Yes

Detachable Drive: No

BSD Name: disk1

Power Off: No

Async Notification: No

Partition Map Type: Unknown

S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported

I don't have a blank disk here to try, but I will get one when I can. 

>> Where do you see that? If in "About this Mac", a permissions repair through Disk Utility usually fixes this.

I have done that a dozen of times. It works (not always) after I repair permissions and restart, but the issue appears again after a while. Is it really working under 2.09GHz or it is just displaying that infot?

I hope not to be bothering you guys with so many questions :).

The info in "About this Mac" is just cosmetic.

Nice, thanks!

Does Turbo Boost work for you guys? I really could use some :). Compilation time of main work's project: 340s (E6430) vs 53s (i7 3770). I still think it is not bad, But if I could get turbo boost, would be awesome.

Hi guys,

Thank you for your help so far.

I am having trouble to configure my keyboard layout. It is Brazilian keyboard ( ABNT2). There are plenty of ABNT2 layout bundles available to download. However, on the E6430 it seems that the new keyboard layout is only affecting the position of the keys but do not activate extra keys. e.g. Brazilian keyboard has more keys (Between SHIFT there are 12 keys, where in US keyboard there are 10). Even though the layout keyboard maps those extra keys and that works great when using external ABTN2 keyboards, it seems that the system is not firing those keys at all.

I downloaded Ukelele ( keyboard layout editor) to map sure those keys where mapped and they are. Maybe there is something on the keyboard kext that configures the number of keys. What do you guys think is happening?

Jhonny

• Administrators

In Ukelele, I usually make use of the Logitech layouts found in a subfolder of the same name. Have a look in there for BRA layouts. I also complete this with Double Command to switch mappings between Alt & Windows keys and apply PC-type Home & End keys.

The combination of those 2 tools always provides me with full keyboard mappings from SL to ML (Double Command is not supported by Mavericks).

Hey Hervé, thanks for your suggestion. However, I think this is a more low-level issue. E.g. On Ukelele there is a button 'Info' on which you get the key-code for every key you press. Those 2 extra keys do not fire any event on that screen either.

The DW1510 wifi card only arrived today. I installed it and rebranded using the tutorial available on this site and it worked with default wifi kext, as airport :). It is working great and fast.

I got offered a deal on a macbook pro and was tempted to get it, but now I think I will stick with the e6430. The only thing I am really missing now is turbo boost. Anyone knows if it works?