Airport OEM / Original airport / Generic Broadcom

qaz

Hi everybody!

I was wondering if you would like to share your experiences with wifi card replacement on your Dells (i.e. difficulties of the system recognizing the card at any point of the installation or plug'n'play capability and reliability of wireless network connections)

It'll be great to learn of your personal experiences with any of the following hardware:

1-
An actually Apple branded airport card or

2-
An OEM card branded as an Airport card or meant for an Apple product in its product description or

3-
A Broadcom card were there's no mention to Apple compatibility at all in its product description.

If you could even be specific about model numbers of your replacement wifi card that would be very helpful!

I'm in the continental US looking on ebay and I see all the options above but at the same time I have read at some point that not every broadcom replacement works out of the box.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

i have issues with atheros on many dells with AR5BXB72 real apple didnt work for me .. older atheros gives me error offset 0x100 = 0xffffff and that card is prety locked socant be rebranded.

so i tried a fujitsu WLL4080 device id 1C subven uhh forgot it butit had same error 0x100

then i rebranded it in linux to IBM device id 1014 subsystem 058a and added to info.plist or atheros both kexts (theold and the new 21) AND IT WORKED sorta.

finaly i jumpet to newer §0.6.3+ atheros AR5B91 and they seem to work as the pciclass is 280 not 200.

havent run into major issues with any broadcoms 1390 .. or 1505.

when 10.6.8 was installed i lost wireless using macbookpro3,1 smbios.plist with proper info in it. then i tried plain not pro 4,1 and no speedstep but wireless works.

FINALY 5,1 or 5,2 not pro works fine with speedsteps and wireless worked. in my inspiron 1520 (with socket p not older socket m) T7500

so theres variations to the issue.

I bought an $8 Broadcom 4311 on ebay. Rebranded it in Linux as and original Apple AirPort Extreme card and it got recognized as Apple AirPort Extreme with broadcom chip 4312. Ever since then I never had problems with it, works great in both SL and Lion.

Hi,

I'm new here! Just got a used D630 with NVidia NVS 135. Thanks to people here and a few other hackintosh sites I got OSX running (10.6.3 so far) on it pretty quickly and it stable with QE&CI, Sleep, Battery, Trackpad, etc. (still need to update to 10.6.7 /.8).

I just order a DW1490 (BCM4311) mini PCIe for $5.25 USD shipped off of eBay. I figured it's pretty much be the same as DW1390 and don't expect any problems with it, but I'll report back when I get it up and running.

BTW I did the same thing with my Gigabyte desktop and a miniPCI (not PCIe) Broadcom wireless card and a miniPCI-to-regular-PCI wifi adapter, worked great!

I bought a BCM4311 for my Latitude when I found out the dreaded Intel wireless was included with the laptop. Right now I have to reinstall a kext and reboot to use wireless. Any suggestions to get it to work, or did I buy a bad model.

Hi,

I'm new here! Just got a used D630 with NVidia NVS 135. Thanks to people here and a few other hackintosh sites I got OSX running (10.6.3 so far) on it pretty quickly and it stable with QE&CI, Sleep, Battery, Trackpad, etc. (still need to update to 10.6.7 /.8).

I just order a DW1490 (BCM4311) mini PCIe for $5.25 USD shipped off of eBay. I figured it's pretty much be the same as DW1390 and don't expect any problems with it, but I'll report back when I get it up and running.

BTW I did the same thing with my Gigabyte desktop and a miniPCI (not PCIe) Broadcom wireless card and a miniPCI-to-regular-PCI wifi adapter, worked great!

Well, I installed the DW1490 wifi card last night (only took about 5 minutes), booted with ignore cache and bingo Airport working perfect, woot! I have yet to rebrand it to Apple so it shows as 3rd party, but I don't think it's really needed for cards that don't do 802.11-N speeds (this one only does 54'G').

I bought an $8 Broadcom 4311 on ebay. Rebranded it in Linux as and original Apple AirPort Extreme card and it got recognized as Apple AirPort Extreme with broadcom chip 4312. Ever since then I never had problems with it, works great in both SL and Lion.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dell-Broadcom-mini-PCIe-wireless-nic-0JC977-BCM4311KFBG-/220822286601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336a08b109#ht_500wt_1413

It's basically this right?

What wireless networks does it support?

Could you tell me how you re branded it?