Latitude E7440

lollyman

I've got a slightly different setup and the installer won't boot.

I followed the myHack instructions and then when I added the Extra's folder after creating the installer.

I tried it with Jake's but my system would stop each time with this error (if -v was used to boot the installer):

BootCacheControl: Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 no such file or directory

I then went ahead and with the same installer, told it to add kokoory's Extra.zip folder.

When I boot up, it seems to get past the BootCacheControl part but goes into a

"panic (cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8002dbe2e): Kernal trap at ......

Debugger called: <panic>

Backrace (CPU 0), Frame : Return Address

but then it goes and show the kernal version and system model name and system uptime and then stops.

My 7440 has:

4th Gen Intel® Core i5-4300U Processor (1.9 GHz, 3M Cache)

Intel Integrated HD 4400 Graphics

Intel Wireless 7260 Driver

1920 x 1080

What do I need to change in my extra's folder.

The kokoory's Extra folder, made the graphics on the startup look nicer and more "Mac like" (probably the 1920 x 1080 setting in it) and it does seem to go further.  If don't use the -v it actually boots up to the point of a mouse pointer

and I can move it around with the track pad but it doesn't bring up the installer,

Inn fact, it eventually just shows a change from white background Apple Logo to just a black screen,

and the installer shows up.  I'm able to use Disk Utilities to Erase and Partion the drive.  So things are looking

good. 

But when I go to install on the newly partioned HFS+ Journalized but NOT case sensitive, it starts and about 2 minutes

later gives me this error:

"The installer can't prepare the disk for installation.  You may need to repair disk using DIsk Utility (which i've tried and says it doesn't need repairing, I tell it to repair it anyways, but same error).  And then I have to restart.

Kokoory has a MSATA 256G SSD and I have a 512G HHD

Is that the problem?  Any insight?

Thanks...

Update.  

I changed when I created the Partition from it being MBR to GUID and it let it install.

But now when it starts after the install onto the hard drive , it says it can't find somewhere to boot from 

if i leave the USB that i created with Mac OS 10.9 on, then it gives me it's BootLoader and I can select

the Installer or the Disk that I just installed on.

So I must have done something with the MBR patch that was talked about or linked to in this thread. I thought

I had done it but will have to double check.

What did I do wrong when I had an MBR partitioned HFS+ disk it wouldnt let me install on and with a GUID it worked.

No Wifi, but I guess that's to be expected with the Intel Wireless.

Sound doesn't seem to be there, but I need to investigate more.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks to all the teams osxlatitude to made this happen, and Jake Lo for his great guide details how to running with E7x40.

I've updated the 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 with evertyhing went well, the machine can boot without issue. but had some weird artifacts on the menubar as Jake mentioned on his guide then again I replaced with AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext from 10.9.2. The artifacrts is gone but seems that QE/CI is no longer working.

• Moderators

Thanks to all the teams osxlatitude to made this happen, and Jake Lo for his great guide details how to running with E7x40.

I've updated the 10.9.3 to 10.9.4 with evertyhing went well, the machine can boot without issue. but had some weird artifacts on the menubar as Jake mentioned on his guide then again I replaced with AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext from 10.9.2. The artifacrts is gone but seems that QE/CI is no longer working.

A better choice is to use 10.9.1 FB, HDMI won't hang the system when you plug it in, but that only works well on OSX 10.9.3 and 10.9.2. Like you said, you lose QE/CI on 10.9.4 if you rollback FB. A workaround for now is go to display preference, under color, use sRGB profile or select one by one until you get one without artifacts.

• Like 2

Jake,

Just finished your guide, thought I would give this another shot.  I'm still very new at this.  I'm only at 10.9.3.  

Seems like I got everything up and running fairly well, here are my issues, and would appreciate your comment or guidance.

1. I did this part of the guide - "Boot with -v option to complete the customization going through the wizard" - but it didn't generate a wizard or dialog.

2. Brightness doesn't seem controllable, but I get the sense from the site that this is normal.

3. The big one I'm confused about - iMessage is not working and is now asking for a customer code.  What is the proper method to setup post your guide?  I've stopped attempting to do anything involving my apple id, in fear of messing something up.

4.  What should I choose for proper keyboard layout?  

5. When I look at the updates section, you start to loose me, and I think it's just cause I'm new.  When you say "replace patched kernel with mach kernel" and there is a file to download, what's the method to do this. (I think it's assumed I would know how to do this)

Really appreciate the patience and support, I've done something right...I'm posting this from Safari on the E7440, but I was really hoping to use my apple id to access the apps, iTunes purchases, and iMessage functions.  Would also like to be able to update, but not sure how to.

M

• Moderators

1. I guess I should rephrase it in the guide. What I meant was to complete the install, setting keyboard language, setting up username ...etc

2. Yes, I'm not able to get brightness working fully. Probably need to repatch DSDT with the right bar0/bar1 address (WIP)

3. iMessage - make sure you have FileNVRAM.dylib in /Extra/modules. Generate a unique smbios serial...see my signature below under iMessage with a fix. I read that you might have to enter a credit card number or call Apple as well

4.  Keyboard layout - choose what works for you. There's an article here call remapping keyboard, search for it in the forum 

5. Before upgrading your OS X, make sure you have the correct version of the kernel you're upgrading to. The haswell processor requires a patched kernel to fix the automatic reboot issue. More details here.

I included the patched kernel so you don't have to patch it yourself, make sure to place it in /Extra before you upgrade, otherwise your system won't be able to boot and goes in rebooting loop.

The default location of the vanilla kernel is on the root, you could patch that yourself you like or copy the patched kernel there but you'll have to change org.chameleon.boot.plist to point it there. 

• Moderators

Jake,

A couple of corrections the first part of your guide brought me to 10.9.3, and I updated my sig with my system info.

If you like to use HDMI to connect to external monitor, stick with 10.9.3 and use AppleIntelAzulFB from 10.9.1. I explained it in the update under the guide.