D630 Black screen after installing EDP 1.9

Skot

I tried the Vanilla dsdt A17 and I get a kernel panic. Did a fresh 10.6.0 install/EDP/Chameleon/fixes/swapped dsdt and got another kernel panic.

I am getting closer to giving up. Not quite there, but certainly discouraged. Just last week I hackintoshed my friend's desktop with an Abit mobo and it took about three tries to nail it down, even with his wonky sound card.

This D630 has been fighting me for a couple of months, off and on. I had high hopes for EDP 1.9, but I seem to be no closer.

Any more ideas?

Well, I went for it and ran the 10.6.8 combo update. I am back in the land of Kernel Panic. VoodooHDA seems to be causing it. Any ideas how I can fix it? Single user safe verbose won't even get me to a command line.

This is the 5th time that the update has broken a mostly-working build, all with different options and even a new dsdt. I think I can borrow a USB adapter and mount the drive on my Mac Pro, but I could use some advice on where to head next.

Thanks!

I picked up a 630 to play with Lion so I can't comment on 10.6.x on a 630. I have been using Snow Leopard on my 620 without issues after installing it from the USB image. Posting this from it running 10.6.8. Is there a reason you're staying with snow leopard? Just curious.

I just got my USB HD adapter, so was going to try fixing this install later this week. I Lion that much better/stable/easier? I am not married to 10.6.8, but I just have bothered to update the rest of my machines yet. I own 3 other Macs, still running SL.

Thanks.

tried renaming applhda in s/l/e : panic

tried voodoohda 2.7.3 in Extra: panic

tried -v -f -x -s pmVersion=0 : sometimes will boot to command line, sometimes not, no repeatable behavior. command line then freezes, w/ kyb imput, either onboard or USB, so can't even do a new build.

I thought we had it with the newer dsdt, but it seems to be broken quite well after 10.6.8 update

It seems I can repeatably get a good 10.6.0 install. Is there another method we can try to do the update? Is Lion a better choice?

Thanks.