HP / Compaq 6910p - graphics issues

pepsaholic

That makes perfect sense, so I'll just go with the newest, and report the results. With v2254 I was able to set 32bit mode (in theory, anyway) but had been entering the arch=i386 tag as well.

Unfortunately, my only functional computer seems to have realized it's being replaced, so is now being problematic. I'm building everything at work, and taking it all home to install. Perhaps over the weekend, I'll be able to bring the whole kit into work, and be able to try options and meaningfully respond in a more timely fashion.

Thanks.

There's no reason why you would not be able to use the latest Chameleon currently available (v2.2 r2377 or r2378). Download Chameleon Wizard tool to manage that.

You just need to edit your Chameleon boot plist so that your effectively boot in 32bit kernel mode. You can do that by selecting/checking the option in the Wizard or by manually entering the option arch=i386 at boot loader startup.

If your machine is not booting right now, what does it say? Can you tell us what you get booting with -v flag?

OK, so with the new bootloader, and fresh everything, I've got the computer to where it will boot in safe mode. Without -x, it just hangs. So, with the -v flag, here are the last few lines:

** /dev/rdisk0s2 (NO WRITE)

** Root file system

Esecuting fsck_hfs (version diskdev_cmds-540.1~25).

hfs: Removed 0 orphaned / unlinked files and 7 directories

** ApleSMBusPCI::start failed to get acpi path for provider

Aple16x50PCI3: Identified 1 Serial Channels at PCI bus=0 Dev=3 Func=3

Apple16x50UARTSync3: Detected 16550AF/C/CF FIFO=16 MaxBaud=115200

macx_swapon SUCCESS

Waiting for DSMOS...  <--- stayed there for a while

APCI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver

[] <---white rectangle

That's it… But hey! It's progress!

OK, I'm up without the -x flag. But it crashes if I try to boot in 32bit mode (either with flag or chameleon boot plist setting). I take that means I don't actually have a video/graphics driver loaded, and system profiler agrees with that assessment.

Of note, the yahoos over at osx86.net seem to think they've got a 64bit x3100 kext.

http://www.osx86.net/files/file/2511-x3100-64bit-driver-for-snow-and-lion/

Whadda you think? For now, I think I'm gonna sleep on this. It's been a long day.

I think I noticed a kext called X3100 in the pack; try to remove it to see if the machine can boot using vanilla graphics kexts.

As of my last note, the machine boots 'vanilla' with it. As far as i can tell, EVERYTHING is 'vanilla'. None of the kexts from the pack seem to loading (!): I've got no sound, no trackpad, no graphics driver. Whenever I do something like "MyFix", I get a string of "imporperly installed/contact vendor" alerts regarding all the kexts in MyHack\Plugins (which are the same as what's in the E\E directory.

But here goes:

• Moved x3100 from Extra\Extensions to E\Removed Extensions and from within MyHack.kext package to Desktop and reboot - no extra tags.

Reboot stuck at apple logo & spinning circle (not beachball). I left it there for about 5 minutes then powered down.

• Power on. Start boot with -v tag

(blah-blah blah…)

waiting for DSMOS...

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::registerLPCDriver - failed to locate SMC driver

[]

All that looks familiar, like it did when it was failing. Power down.

• Power on. Start boot with arch=i386 -v tags

(blah-blah blah… lots of lines like: 0x345bbfc8 : 0x2e5d77 (0x4254210 0x0 0x10 0x402c540)

Kernel Extnesions in backtrace:

4 lines like:    com.apple.iokit.IOAPCIFamily(1.4)[2C139AFA-EBAC-4CB6-BB01-A983AD7D66E51@0xf8a000->0xf90fff

some with 'dependency lines like:    dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPFamily(1.4)[2C139AFA-EBAC-4CB6-BB01-A983AD7D66E51@0xf8a000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kextd

Boot args: boot-uuid=3E6E5D4B-C6AB-331-8CE0-B87C9982B406 rd=*uuid arch-i386 -v

Mac OS version:

11E53

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 11.4.0: Mon Apr  9 19:33:05 PDT 2012; root:xnu-1699.26.8~1RELEASE_I386

Kernl UUID: DC2420E0-4451-376C-8A70-74301C98CE6B

System model name: MacBook3,1 (Mac-F22788C8)

System uptime in nanoseconds: 9678841209

[]

• Power down, remove drive, plug into external case, attach to working system and return x3100 to previous locatons, return drive to computer, boot without tags (This should be the same state as before removing x3100, when the computer was working)

hangs in same place (apple & spinning)

So removing x3100 seems to have broken the computer… even through it didn't seem to be running anyway, and shouldn't have been running in a 64bit system (?!). But returning x3100 didn't bring it back to the previous working state. Excellent…. . .

• Power down, remove drive, plug into external case, attach to working system, run Disk Utility (fix permissions), run MyFix (Full), return drive to computer, boot without tags

Boots 'fine' (as before, stil no sound or trackpad)

Next?

Do you have the lspcidrv kext in /E/E? It normally comes with recent version of myHack…

Yes. But as I mentioned earlier, I don't think anything in /E/E is actually loading.

…Which version of myHack are you using by the way?

According to the downloaded .dmg, I have myHack 3.3.1