Lenovo T430 Installation

surfmk

Hi everyone,

System: Lenovo T430/2349 BG6, IvyBridge, Chipset QM77, HD4000, 1366x768

I'm really struggling getting to the installation screen using MyHack / Mavericks / Bootpack for T430.

I have a straightforward T430 with no discrete graphics, just HD4000 and can't seem to get to an installation screen.

I have loaded default setup in BIOS and then made the following changes:

Made sure VDt is off

Sata is AHCI

USB set to legacy

boot mode set to legacy

No changes to Power management

Secure Boot Disabled

All other security features disabled.

OK, so I made a boot key with my hack and then ran installation again to add the Extra folder downloaded in bootpack for T430.

I would really appreciate some help to get me further. Are there any issues with SSD I wonder? From reading around, it is usually the graphics that is failing if it re-boots immediately you get to Darwin text on screen log.

With great thanks to anyone that can help!

Paul (surfmk).

Hi Jake,

You are my new best friend!

I've tried for 4 days, making 6 different install keys, following vanilla and non-vanilla tutorials, clover, chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), chameleon all with ML and Mavericks! Most people would have given up a long time ago...

So I almost didn't believe this laptop would ever see the installation screen but thanks to your advice, "Execution prevention" enabled has got me to the install screen! WELL DONE!

---------------------------

OK so I do get an install screen but no keyboard operation (didn't expect trackpad to work) to choose English and carry on.

Should I plug in a PS2 mouse?

I know it takes a while to load up but just wondering if I should wait even longer for keyboard to respond?

Thanks again for your initial response - I was elated!

All the best,

Paul.

• Moderators

Hi Jake,

You are my new best friend!

I've tried for 4 days, making 6 different install keys, following vanilla and non-vanilla tutorials, clover, chimera (chameleon, stolen and rebranded), chameleon all with ML and Mavericks! Most people would have given up a long time ago...

So I almost didn't believe this laptop would ever see the installation screen but thanks to your advice, "Execution prevention" enabled has got me to the install screen! WELL DONE!

---------------------------

OK so I do get an install screen but no keyboard operation (didn't expect trackpad to work) to choose English and carry on.

Should I plug in a PS2 mouse?

I know it takes a while to load up but just wondering if I should wait even longer for keyboard to respond?

Thanks again for your initial response - I was elated!

All the best,

Paul.

If keyboard and trackpad is not working, try with an USB keyboard and mouse. 

Hi,

So I'm now using bootpack Lenovo T430 (same processor spec, HD4000)

USB keyboard and mouse allows first Mavericks install from USB key.

After Disk utility: GUID / mac journal partition,  I install to SSD and choose manual for the Extra folder on the install key.  Then Yes, Yes, Yes.  Wait a long time with time remaining flipping between "one minute" and "less than one minute".

At the end it said "Installation failed".

Switched off laptop (hard reset) and loaded up the OS even though it said installation had failed.  I managed to get into Mavericks and ran your EDP.  Wow!  All looking pretty sweet!

Just not sure if I should continue to work with this system or start again due to the failed installation message??

Thanks,

Paul.

• Moderators

Hi,

So I'm now using bootpack Lenovo T430 (same processor spec, HD4000)

USB keyboard and mouse allows first Mavericks install from USB key.

After Disk utility: GUID / mac journal partition,  I install to SSD and choose manual for the Extra folder on the install key.  Then Yes, Yes, Yes.  Wait a long time with time remaining flipping between "one minute" and "less than one minute".

At the end it said "Installation failed".

Switched off laptop (hard reset) and loaded up the OS even though it said installation had failed.  I managed to get into Mavericks and ran your EDP.  Wow!  All looking pretty sweet!

Just not sure if I should continue to work with this system or start again due to the failed installation message??

Thanks,

Paul.

Congratulations!

"Installation Failed" message is normal in Hackintosh world. If you check some of installation guides and you'll see it's mentioned.

Thanks very much for your guidance.

I'm going to try and make a dual boot system now.  Found some software that claims they can change a system GPT to MBR  without losing data.  AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition 5.5.

Will pop the SSD into my Lenovo W530 drive bay and give it a try (I've already imaged the Mavericks install just in case).  Would like to restore my original Win7 image to free space following the newly converted MBR OSX.  I suspect it will require MBR repair but hopefully I'll end up with a Chameleon bootloader giving OSX/Win7 option without having to reinstall Win7 again (as this takes ages with my setup).

... all this effort because a French translation agency uses Mac 'Type A' fonts with InDesign which are not available in the PC world!  I got fed up with my VirtualBox - as suspected, this T430 i5 Mavericks is so quick and smooth with an SSD.

Realy chuffed!

Paul.

(PS I am reading your guide on dual boot but any thread links would be great).

• Moderators

Thanks very much for your guidance.

I'm going to try and make a dual boot system now.  Found some software that claims they can change a system GPT to MBR  without losing data.  AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition 5.5.

Will pop the SSD into my Lenovo W530 drive bay and give it a try (I've already imaged the Mavericks install just in case).  Would like to restore my original Win7 image to free space following the newly converted MBR OSX.  I suspect it will require MBR repair but hopefully I'll end up with a Chameleon bootloader giving OSX/Win7 option without having to reinstall Win7 again (as this takes ages with my setup).

... all this effort because a French translation agency uses Mac 'Type A' fonts with InDesign which are not available in the PC world!  I got fed up with my VirtualBox - as suspected, this T430 i5 Mavericks is so quick and smooth with an SSD.

Realy chuffed!

Paul.

(PS I am reading your guide on dual boot but any thread links would be great).

Check this http://myhack.sojugarden.com/2009/12/dual-booting-demystified/

Hi - Just an update to say that converting GPT to MBR with that software did not work.

Wiped the drive and have made a new key with MBR setting in MyHack options.

Still hoping to install my Win7 image in free space after OSX but I guess that's fraught with problems!  Am following the guide in previous post.

Giving it a go now...