D830 no builtin keyboard/mouse/trackpad function

squatchey

SOLVED!  details in reply #10

I have a D830, triple boot, Win7, OSX Mavericks, Ubuntu 14.04 and have re-installed about two dozen times.  Bought an Atheros wireless card, have it installed to replace the Intel wifi adapter.  Everything works fine, except for the builtin keyboard/mouse/trackpad.  I have tried EDP Installer (machine fails to boot after EDP, I have a clonezilla image I revert too after failed attempts)  I have tried various kext's, most current is the Voodoo one.  Have tried D630 pack, D830 pack, etc...

USB Keyboard and mouse working, but I want it to work as a laptop, and I am posting this on the machine now, with those.  Also Bluetooth is missing from System Properties, it was part of the Intel wifi card I removed.  System Properties shows no trackpad, will try to attach that picture if I can.

What am I getting wrong?

Did that, and it all went sideways.  Can't boot into the GUI anymore, boot flags -f -x -v (various combinations) fails, drops to a prompt declaring system uptime in nanoseconds when using -x, and weird enough, Chameleon lost it's gui menu, it's a text menu now.  Sometimes I think I am a smart guy, but so far this combination is making me feel very n00b. :-)

Anyone?  Beuler?

I may have been mistaken. I should have downloaded the pack before I just threw out a suggestion. Those kexts might actually be better placed in /System/Library/Extensions. I've never had to use ACPIPS2Nub.kext before, so I'm not exactly sure what you're supposed to do with that. :(

It sounds like you had a kernel panic. Can you boot into single user mode (-s at Chameleon) and remove them? Or restore your clonezilla image? Then let Herve get back to you on how to properly install these kexts. Its been a while since I've worked on a Latitude D series laptop. :(

My apologies.

No need to apologize, you're helping me out and last I checked there isn't a check in the mail to you. :-)  Thankfully, clonezilla saved my bacon again.  To quote Bender "I'm back baby", but still fighting mouse/keyboard.  Will put them in S/L/E and swing again.

Copied the two kext to desktop, used kextbeast to install, then kextwizard to repair /E & /S/L/E permissions, rebooted, same deal, no mouse/keyboard/trackpad.  Not sure what I've got broken.  Keyboard & trackpad worked fine for the initial install, and the keyboard works in chameleon for OS selection, boot flags, etc...  Just once the OS loads from the drive now, no go with mouse/trackpad/keyboard.

Gonna update this to "SOLVED" as I found the hiccup, using some good old linux sysadmin knowledge.  Booted, opened terminal, typed "dmesg | more" and reviewed errors, kexts were not loading, as they were already loaded.  Googled the error message, found a few links, gave me a command to run;

find /System/Library/Extensions/ -type f -name *.plist -exec grep -yH ApplePS2Controller {} \;

That returned the problematic kexts in this folder;

/System/Library/Extensions/myHack.kext/Contents/PlugIns/

MyHack had configured it to load the ApplePS2 kexts from this folder, removed them, repaired permissions with kextwizard and it now works.  Thank you to everyone on this forum, I really enjoy how well OSX is running on this laptop.