D630/nvidia SL failure w/ 1.9.1.. near giving up...

Limeycars

I have repeatedly tried to get 10.6.8 installed on this D630/nvidia machine, and have about reached the end of my sanity. I can get 10.6.0 installed, but never have I been able to update to 10.6.8. I get a KP every time. I am starting to wonder if there is something different about my machine, since there seem to be so many people with success stories. I have followed the wiki, both 1.8 and 1.9.1 versions, tried multiple boot flags, power management, rebuilds, anything I have come across in the forums. None of it seems to be the magic bullet. I thought the whole reason to go with the Latitudes is that they are all the same in each series.

Is there someone who can help me figure out what is going on? Or optionally, can I send this machine to someone to look over so that we can find what make my machine incompatible? Anyone in the Seattle area? :-)

If it proves that I have a particularly difficult model, is there a different Latitude model that works consistently, so that the install is nailed down tight? I have a friend who is a Dell reseller and he can get me almost any configuration. I just need to tell him exactly what to get.

Sorry to start a new thread, but this seems to go beyond the old one, which has gone cold.

Thanks

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With just the -v flag, I KP at org.netkas.fakeSMC which is conflicting with com.apple.iokit.IOACPIfamily.

I am not fluent in command line, so detailed step-by-step instructions are very helpful. :-)

I am still interested in hearing if there is one particular Latitude that is most consistently hacked. I have several friends watching this exercise with interest.

Thanks!

I have both nvidia and intel gpu based d630's and 1 intel gpu d620. I found the d620 easier to work with, but if you want to go lion you need a core 2 duo. With the d630 you will need to swap out the intel wireless card(I bought mine off ebay for 13 dollars).So I am about to install lion on my d630 intel gpu( gonna pick up a lion usb stick from apple today).

In regards to your kernel panic check your e/e folder and see if there are 2 fakesms kexts there,if so delete the one that has numbers in it, and reboot.

• Administrators

well d430 and d620 intel have worked both great for me

but the d630 is more powerful machine just very finicky... crc has 3 of em and only 2 want to work.... the third one kp's all the time even when swapping hdd's from a working one to it. yet windows runs fine... they also all have the same bios. so go figure... weird no?

I find the nvidia gpu d630 more finicky than the intel one.I tried updating the nvidia gpu d630 with the custom bios from the wiki and it would post after but nothing else,ended up reflashing the dell a17 bios to get everything working again. Maybe i should throw the core 2 duo from the d630 into the d620.... I also have weird sleep issues that come and go plus occasionally I will get random kp's that rebooting fixes. Definitely weird.

OK, the vibe I am getting is that the D630/Nvidia is the twitchiest off the whole family, the crazy uncle that tends to yell a lot.

If I were to pick the best hardware configuration of the D620, what would my dream machine be? Or do I want an 800-series?

Broadcom wireless, obviously, but which graphics/processor/video/memory? (I will have no problems getting my money back out of the D630, so I am not invested in it, other than in blood.)

Thanks a lot!