No Internal HDD in Lion Disk Utility on D630 x3100 HR

cc333

OK. That's what I was assuming when I downloaded it, so it looks like I'm good, then.

as an aside, I noticed that the org.chameleon.Boot.plist in the pack you told me to get is configured by default not to use a DSDT. Why is that?

Adding the DSDT entry doesn't seem to make any difference for my problem, though.

I'll keep trying....

c

• Administrators

[...]

as an aside, I noticed that the org.chameleon.Boot.plist in the pack you told me to get is configured by default not to use a DSDT. Why is that?

[...]

I think you're mistaken. Chameleon systematically loads by default any DSDT file called "DSDT.aml" found in /Extra folder. There is no need to reference it in the boot plist.

How did you setup your HDD in terms of partition scheme and formatting? Should be respectively GUID (not MBR) and OS X Extended (journaled).

Yeah, I guess so. Thanks for the clarification re: DSDT loading!

I formatted the hard drive (an OEM Apple drive, by the way) as MBR with Mac OS Extended Journaled. It seemed to boot fine regardless (I think the boot disk I made had an MBR patch applied), but could it cause the problems I've been experiencing?

c

OK, for the last two-ish weeks, I decided to set this project aside and stick with XP, but now I think I want to try again.

Only this time, I want to install Snow Leopard because I think it might be slightly more compatible with my hardware.

One thing I'd like to do, though, is upgrade the Wifi to something that isn't so completely unsupported. I was looking at the BCM94360, as it seems like it would be a fantastic upgrade, and it's fully supported by almost every version of Windows and OS X that'll run on it. However, I can't tell exactly what I should get that would be a) compatible with the slot(s) in the D630, and B) compatible with the OEM antennae. This one looks about right, but I'm not sure.

c

• Administrators

Forget about 802.11ac cards under SL or Lion; OS X only supports this from ML 10.8.4, or 10.8.5 i.e. unreachable territories for the D630 GMA X3100. In addition, please note that the D630 only takes full-size mini-PCIe cards so you would need to add an adapter plate if you want to install a half-size wireless card.

I would advise you to consider a full-size 802.11n Broadcom and/or Atheros card that'll work OOB. I can recommend Atheros AR5B91 (2.4GHz) or AR5BXB92 (2.4+5GHz). On the Broadcom side, you have the DW1505.

OK. Thanks. It did seem a bit too good to be true.

I am going to upgrade to the Nvidia version of the D630, so perhaps wireless ac could work then (with an adapter)?

For the time being though, I'll stick with one of your suggestions, as that seems it'd be the most compatible (and it's not like I *need* for the thing to be super fast; I have a nice Mac Pro for heavy duty work).

c