[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 3542 - Sierra

spidey123

• Moderators

when you plug in HDMI video, do you see a new device in Sound preference under output?

For brightness slider, add IntelBacklight.kext to /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

For the Fn keys, you could try Karabiner-Elements to modify the keys. Works fine on my E7450/E7470

Note: Don't forget to enable DropOEM SSDT. The HDMI audio and brightness patches are in SSDT-5.aml

If you encounter KP, then most likely you'll need to extract new raw files and repatch again.

Ah ok, I actually had IntelBacklight installed in S/L/E  I'll try there.  As for DropOEM SSDT ( I only see DropOEM) but when I do that the system hangs.  It doesn't boot.  No when I plug it in it only shows Internal speakers.  On my E6420 it shows the TV.  I'm sure it has something to do with the dropOeM SSDT.  You're right I may need to repatch.   I'm ok with the function keys, more concerned about just being able to get the slider.  But if I do you've already explained to me how to use Karabiner Elements so thats great :)  Ok Thanks again.  Going to go mess around with it again.  

p.s  Do I need the latest IntelBacklight.kext if so what bootback would be best to download?  

• Moderators

latest can be found here

Have you try booting without cache with DropOEM?

What version of Clover are you on?

Most likely repatch if that still won't boot.

Remove all patched files from api/patched, disable dropOEM and then extrac the files.

Boot to Clover Gui, hit F4. Then compress and attach Origin folder here, I'll assist with the patching.

Hi Jake Lo.  So I rewatched my SSDT-5.aml and when adding the BOD3 patch  I remembered something from Yosemite.  The layout id is 3 not 12   Changed it and viola HDMI works.  Also re patching the brand new SSDT-5 allowed the DropOem True to boot up.  Using Clover 3853 I believe.  It is todays or yesterdays release.  Really happy.   IntelBacklight or ACPIBacklight both bring the Slider for Brightness.  Chose the Intel because its newer and supposedly quicker.  So all is working and I'm quite pleased :)  Thanks for all your help   F11 and F12 I will definitely need to remap with Karabiner Elements because they both only raise brightness now and f12 seems to have a vol up attached to it as well.  I see both the vol and the brightness for a split second when I push it.  I'll work on that tomorrow though.  Thanks again Jake Lo.

• Moderators

I guess it's not clear. Launch Karabiner-element after install.

Then go to your home directory. This folder is hidden, so click on Go -> Go to Folder

Enter .karabiner.d/Configuration in the window. Click Go

Paste the file karabiner.json there

Done

AH ok :)  Yeah I had just figured it out was coming to delete before you posted a reply but you just beat me to it.  Thanks Jake LO :)   Only having one issue.  Wrong Keyboard type is selected.  I'm either on the Japanese or the European and not North America because I cannot type the "tilde" character even with Shift Key and I actually use it in Photoshop.  But I think I know why.  I believe you have to have the proper keyboard type selected first before you install Karabiner and the .json file for the first time.  Else later it doesn't allow you to because it detects your keyboard as an Apple one and doesn't allow you to make changes.  Good thing is that I'm as always first testing on external.  So I'll remember that for when I do it on my internal drive.  I tried uninstalling the Karabiner App and the rebuilding cache and permissions restarted but the default Karabiner set up still remains.  Another thing is my keyboard was set up to not use the function key for those devices in Yosemite.  Is there are way to set it up the .json so that the default doesn't use to the FN key to activate.  Just curious because it might actually be better with the FN key.   Please let me know when you get a chance.  Thanks again Jake Lo for all your help.  Just going to do a quick backup of my internal Yosemite drive and then start the install of sierra for real.  

• Moderators

if you're using Dr. Hurt's latest voodoops2Controller, I remember someone mentioned using europeon keyboard corrects the issue, so it's reversed I suppose. 

You don't need to hold the Fn to activate, if you do, it could be you have the Fn key locked.

Try toggling Fn+Esc

Oh Ok,  I'll check thst out for sure then.  Just finished internal installation and updated, all is great well I havent installed Karabiner Elements on the internal drive yet.  I might not actually.  I'm ok with the way it works default.  But I may experiment some more with the external drive and see if maybe I can perfect it.  Right now close to perfect though 99.5% :)   Thanks Jake Lo.