[SOLVED] Dell Inspiron 3542 - Sierra

spidey123

Bronxtech thank you :)  Everything works as normal including brightness keys.  Also the mouse would sometimes jump around and now it doesn't.  The gestures even work, absolutely amazing.  Only issue I've had is that whenever I go to macworld.com something causes the computer to freeze but I haven't noticed it on any other site yet. So I'm just not going to visit that site any longer.  The UK version works perfectly.  Thanks again everyone for your help, I've learned a lot from the team :)

Well unfortunately the Elan/Synaptics kext still has some flaws in it.  Can't command option escape to bring up the force Quit window.  I also like to tend to swap the command and option key but if you do that then the brightness keys do not work any more.  Also the trackpad speed settings are never saved.  

The mouse is still jumpy but that might be more the poorly constructed dell touchpad, which is actually just one piece that clicks.  I've always found it difficult to use.  Hopefully in version 4.6.6 they can make some more adjustments.  

Ok thanks Jake Lo.  On Yosemite I was just using the patched AppleHDA.kext but I could never figure out how to patch my audio for HDMI.  Hopefully after I get the main sound, you can help me with the HDMI sound patches for the DSDT on my Dell 3542 Inspiron.  Thanks again.  Ill let you know how it goes.

he Bro. can you please give me all kexts dsdts etc required for Dell inspiron 3542 ... I want to install Yosemite...  HOpe you'll reply fast... 

• Moderators

Well unfortunately the Elan/Synaptics kext still has some flaws in it.  Can't command option escape to bring up the force Quit window.  I also like to tend to swap the command and option key but if you do that then the brightness keys do not work any more.  Also the trackpad speed settings are never saved.  

Hmmm, I have the same issue with Command+Opt+Esc on 10.12.0, but fixed after upgrading to 10.12.1

Hi Jake Lo, hmmm I believe I tried this one just before the Elan one.  Think it was causing my computer to freeze up, but I'll experiment with it again.  Why not :)  Thanks Jake Lo.  I'll post later on today after a full days use and let everyone know how its going.  That way if others have the same issues they can see the posting and not have to ask again.  

Yup just as I had thought Jake Lo.  I have tried this one, brightness keys are still the same but when I select the keyboard and choose ANSI North America it allows me to type the tilde character when I hold shift down, which is correct.  So then I thought why not try your .json file now with Karabiner Elements.  So I did and everything is working including brightness keys, only thing is i need to have the FN key down with the keys.  So i just simply decided to change the bios settings from Multimedia to Function and everything works.  No need to use the FN key.  I think as long as i don't notice it freezing up, this will be the kext I use.  I'll post my testing results later on tonight.