Issues with E6530 booting Sierra

arcaman6

• Administrators

UseKernelCache is always set to Yes on all my Chameleon/Enoch builds.

HDMI output should work OOB

O2 Micro SD card reader works OOB with the published patch for the appropriate DSDT device (identify the device with IORegistryExplorer, then patch the device to declare compatibility with Apple's own device 14e4:16bc). All details are available in the R&D->Card readers section.

For keyboard layouts, please consult the existing topics on that matter in the R&D->Keyboard section.

Happy to report that HMI and SD card working perfectly but need some help with upgrading to a 1080p lcd screen.

After a bit of searching i found the DSDT-E6430-2ch.aml DSDT file and tried it out. After replacing the panel system boots up to the Apple timer but screen goes black around half way across - laptop continues to boot up and if I attach external HDMI there is a garbled display (looks like a section of the LHS of the screen is repeated a few times).

How should I proceed? I expected that a DSDT file with dual-channel LVDS enabled would probably work OK with 1080p screen but perhaps this is not the case - maybe this DSDT file works only with 900p LCD screen.

Is there a better DSDT file I can use?

Do I need to patch my original DSDT.aml file. I found a few patch files (e.g. graphics_HD4K_high.txt) which I am happy to try - seems to change the ig-platform-id from 01 66 00 03 to 01 66 00 04.

As always your expert help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Aubrey

• Administrators

You need to do 2 things with your change of LCD to a high res (>1600x900) model:
1) indeed change your layout-id from 0x01660003 to 0x01660004
2) set DualLink parameter to 1 in the iGPU _DSM method
eg:

[...]
"AAPL,DualLink",          // or is it AAPL00 ?
Buffer (0x04)
{
    0x01, 0x00, 0x00, 0x00
},
[...]

`

This on the assumption that the high res LCD you installed came with the necessary duallink/high res cable. If you re-use the same cable as before, it's not going to work.

Ran into some problems editing the DSDT.aml file I was using. MACiasl was not able to decode it and iasl.sh could decode it but found error when trying to recompile.

However I discovered this DSDT-E6430-2CH.aml file in this guide which seems to have the patch already applied so opted to use it instead. It seems to work fine and I was able to boot up in 1080p mode - on the down side I don't seem to be able to use the external HMI port any more and the SD card is not working with the DSDT.

My best option seems to be to try and sort out the decompile/compile issues with my first DSDT file.

Any pointers you could give would be welcome. I've attached both DSDT files in case you want to look at them.

Cheers

DSDT-E6430-2CH.aml.zip

DSDT-E6230-HD4000.aml.zip

More progress today. The DSDT-E6230-HD4000 allows me to boot up in 1080p and the USB ports and SD card reader all work fine.

However external HDMI port is still not working. Have tried Enoch options IntelCapriFB=4 and  DualLink=1 individually and together with no difference. After a little rooting around I discovered there are patches for AppleIntelFramebuffer.kext here and I applied these, reinstalled kext in SLE and rebuilt the cache. System rebooted fine in 1080p mode but HDMI port still not working.

Can you suggest what else I can try.

Cheers

Aubrey