D830/Intel + Lion - Instability when upgrading

digglife

Hi,

Excellent forum, I have taken up the challenge of getting OSX Lion running on a D830 w. Intel GMA card (1920x1200 screen), latest A15 BIOS.

I did reset BIOS to default and change disk mode.

I have created a USB drive install disk from retail 10.7 DVD. Having some issues though:

- Install goes OK. Most stuff works on first boot (bluetooth, wifi, graphics acceleration/screen resolution). After first login, I run EDP tool (tried EDP 2.1 and 2.2 so far) and answer the questions. Install Chameleon included with EDP as well.

- Another reboot, and I install 10.7.1 combo update and reboot, and this is where things get bad. Typically, the system will completely freeze (unresponsive to mouse/keyboard, HD light stays lit too) after anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour. Before that, the Latitude's keyboard and trackpad work fine. At this point I have to do a hard reset using the power button.

- After a hard reset, boot freezes at various points before the GUI loads. Sometimes I see things like 'mac_osx swapon completed' or 'DSMOS has arrived'.

- Doing a -x from boot options, it seems to start checking the disk, but again freezes (left it for hours, no disk activity or keyboard responsiveness).

- Have tried booting into the installer and using disk utility to verify/repair disk - does some stuff but boot still gets stuck at same spots.

I have also:

Tried different options in EDP tool (applePS driver, the other choices as well), using the powermanagement option/not using it, using emulated speedstep/not using it. Tried with both EDP 2.1 and 2.2, with no long term luck. Have run through about 10 installs so far! I have also tried 10.7.2 combo update, same issues.

As far as I can tell, I can run the non-updated 10.7 (except that sleep wont work - the latitude goes to sleep but immediately wakes up again on its own) till the cows come home, its the upgrade that seems to be messing stuff up.

Can anyone help/comment on this situation.

Install 10.7.0, open the Mac App Store, and Option+click (actually, Windows key + click) the purchases tab. You'll see you can re-download Lion, and that download has 10.7.2 built in. Once it downloads, make a new USB drive, and then install fresh again, this time you'll be on 10.7.2. No reason to install the 10.7.1 update in teh first place, though - you should just be able to upgrade to 10.7.2 from 10.7.0 if you got the Combo update and not the Delta update.