Google Chrome issue

griftopia

I have had this issue since 10.11 and have same issue with 10.12.

This is not an issue with installing OS X on PC laptops. It is a problem even on Mac Laptops. Chrome does not display pages unless hardware acceleration is turned off. The problem is even the settings page does not render properly to scroll down to it under Advanced Settings and turn it off.

So I've hunted high and low for months on who can tell me how to get to the Settings using Terminal to turn the darn setting off. I've gone and looked at Preferences and looked in every while, but I don't see that option. If it's there then its not in plain text.

Is there anything I can try? Not being able to run Chrome is a big pain in the butt.

@Herve, you misunderstand. I know how to change settings through the browser itself. The problem is that Settings page is also HTML and it will render with glitches/artifacts just like any other web page, so it is quite impossible to go and turn hardware acceleration off. 

So I'm looking at a way to locate and change where Chrome saves that setting on my hard disk. I've searched online for all the places google saves settings/preferences and I see some values but not one for hardware acceleration. Hence my post.

• Administrators

Well, now you've modified your initial post to explain things a little better...

Anyway, I don't think you can do what you seek to do. What system do you experience such issue with? Did you tune your graphics for GPU throttling (AGPM)?

I've had this issue with every laptop - dell, lenovo, hp - that I got el capitan installed on. And now Sierra, so I'm assuming going forward this is an issue. Googling told me it is known issue. I haven't heard anyone fix this problem any other way than turning off hardware acceleration, and which could also be a urban myth.

No, I haven't done diddly with GPU throttling. Where do I begin?

• Administrators

If you've had trouble with every Dell/Lenovo/HP laptop you convert to Hackintosh, I can only assume it's linked to the manner in which you install or tune your systems because I've had no trouble using Chrome on my Hacks and I've had a few...

I don't know which system you're on right now but you can start with the CPU & AGPM tuning threads & articles posted on the forum and web site.

http://www.osxlatitude.com/tuning-performance-with-fakesmc-smbios-plist/

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/2673-performance-tuning-with-fakesmc/

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7807-nvidia-gpu-performance-tuning-with-agpm/

@Herve - I was looking at this link below.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/7807-nvidia-gpu-performance-tuning-with-agpm/

Like you say there, why mess with modifying the Vanilla kext when you can inject through FakeSMC.

So the D630 and e6500 must have the same GPU. The FakeSMC from the D630 pack already has the patch applied for the Thresholds. Please let me know what I"m missing.

PS - One odd thing I noticed is the patch sample for FakeSMC plist and also the one in the D630 pack which I'm using both have macosx10.9 for DTSDKName key. Not sure if that matters, and I should make it 10.12.

• Administrators

Grab your entry from your current version's AGPM kext, though there should be little of not no difference to what's posted in the original thread.

D630 and E6500 don't have the same GPU. If you grab the D630 FakeSMC that includes the patch for NVS 135M, remember to change the GPU id or the patch will not be effective. That's clearly stated in the thread.

Actually I see my D630 and e6500 having the same GPU. I checked it is 10de06eb.

However, now I'm confused. I thought the idea was to leave AGPM kext alone so an OS update wouldn't need re-fixing. And we only inject in the FakeSMC. I will look again, but in the Info list for FakeSMC in your post, I couldn't spot the device id, so assumed fix was independent of it.