Install Yosemite on E6540

Stolidedog

I wonder if someone knows where I can find instruction on installing Yosemite on an E6540?  Here are my specs:

• CPU: i5-4310 (2 cores) Haswell
  • GPU: Intel HD 4600 (Haswell GT2)
  • Memory: 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
  • BIOS: A14

I realize I'll have to replace the WIFI card to get that to work.  I probably need some kexts for the trackpad as well.  Anything else?  Any links to help me install would be appreciated.

Bob

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Herve,

Thanks for the link and all the work you've done for this.  Questions:

1. Will your DSDT work with my E6540 or do I need to generate one and patch it?  if so, what patches will I need?  Rehabman has a lot but I don't know which ones.  If your DSDT is compatible, then I don't have a problem I guess.
  2. Do I have to use Chameleon?  
  3. Should I generate my SSDT files?

If there is anything else you can think of, please let me know.

Bob

Thanks for the response, but I've read the post several times and it isn't clear to me.  Probably because I'm not an DSDT expert.  So assume I boot up and generate a clean DSDT from MacIASL, what Rehabman patches should I apply?  Your post gives him credit but doesn't mention which ones you applied.  Then, I see your posts about patches you made to your DSDT.  I assume I make the same to mine?

Also, I get "ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream".  VoodoPS2Controller installed and loading.  Sometimes when I boot the trackpad responds, sometimes not.  Usually the keyboard works, but it always boots up and I get the screen waiting for a bluetooth keyboard.  I either ignore it or connect a USB keyboard to get the screen to dismiss.  Perhaps DSDT patching will fix this?

My /Extra folder is what you posted.  All the kexts you have in /Extra/Extensions is what I have.  I downloaded E6440_i5-4300M_HD4600_Yos-Pack#5.zip.  See below:

It seems like everything else is fine except there is no audio.  Hopefully if I can figure out and get a good DSDT working that will fix it.  The other thing I noticed NTP doesn't set my time correctly, I have to manually do it.

----------

/Extra/Extensions

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Nov  8  2014 AppleHDADisabler.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Nov  8  2014 AppleIntelE1000e.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Sep 25  2014 AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Sep 19  2014 AppleSDXC.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Jun 21  2013 AppleSmartBatteryManager.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Nov  8  2014 FakeSMC.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Jun 24  2012 IOAHCISerialATAPI_Injector.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Nov  8  2014 VoodooHDA.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Nov  8  2014 VoodooPS2Controller.kext

drwxr-xr-x@ 3 rkrier  staff  102 Nov  8  2014 lspcidrv.kext

• Administrators

I must have misread your 2nd post (or maybe you edited it) because I thought you had mentionned SSDT in your 1st point when I clearly see DSDT now. I've updated my response to that effect.

Generally speaking, it's never a good idea to use a DSDT from a different computer model, unless the systems really are of identical specs. It may be the case for the E6440/E6540, but I would still recommend you post your raw/extracted DSDT so that I can compare. As this stage, I do not know if the specs are 100% identical even though they most probably are (LAN, audio, SD card reader, etc.).

Indeed, I have listed and/or detailed the patches applied to my E6440 DSDT and if/when I made a reference to existing ones, you may of course referto the actual source to grab them from.

I sure won't mind looking at your DSDT and patch it if you want...

For AppleHDA, you must replace the vanilla kext in /S/L/E, so the kext provided in /E/E really is for retrieval only. You may also opt to copy the patched AppleHDA to /Library/Extensions and delete the vanilla kexts from /S/L/E.

• Administrators

Ok, will start looking into it. Could you also extract your raw IOReg with a tool such as IORegistryExplorer? Just save the output file, zip it and post it. That will help me identify some of the hardware components such as SD card reader for instance.

• Administrators

Here's a 1st patched version where all I've done was:

1. rename device GFX0 to IGPU to reflect the HD4600 integrated GPU nature
  2. inject desktop HD4600 device id (0412)
  3. inject Azul FrameBuffer #12 (0a260006), the one that normally gives full QE/CI on mobile HD4600 GPU

E6540_DSDT_01.zip

With this DSDT in place (you can place it in /Extra folder under the name DSDT.aml) and the attached 2 FakePCIID kexts (from Rehabman) placed in /Extra/Extensions, you should immediately gain full graphics acceleration. Make sure to remove the kext called AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext from /E/E, you won't need it at this stage.

FakePCIID.kext.zip FakePCIID_HD4600_HD4400.kext.zip

If the E6540 behaves exactly like the E6440, you will also have to remove the AppleHPET kext from /S/L/E (you may keep a backup if you wish) as that interferes with USB ports (most notably the USB3.0 ones) and internal USB devices.

I also recommend you use Chameleon-Enoch r2760 as bootloader.

Thanks again!

The attached zip file contains the output from IOReg.  It also contains my patched DSDT based on what you posted.  I booted with the compiled DSDT.aml when I ran IOReg.

I removed /S/L/E/AppleHDA.kext and copied VoodoHDA.kext to /S/L/E and now I have audio.  Still time goes off and won't adjust from NTP.  Weird.  

I still get ApplePS2Controller: Timed out on mouse input stream, should I remove that kext from /S/L/E?

bob

-----

Oops, we cross posted.  I'll try yours and let you know.

Archive.zip