Sierra on Latitude E5440

griftopia

So I took the USB stick I had prepared for E6330 installation recently. All I should need to do (I think) is swap out the EFI folder in the EFI partition with the version for E5440. So I did that. And this time remembered to used Generic EFI folder and copy over spefic E5440 files so I don't miss the HFIPlus.efi file like I did previously. I also have USBInject_all.kext

Needless to say I have checked I have correct files for E5440, dsdt, kexts, everything.

Problem is I get

boot0: GPT

boot0: GPT

boot0: error

Exactly what happened with E6330 until I copied the HFIPlus.efi in the right place. This time with E5440 that's not the issue. And I tried all 3 USB ports.

If someone can tell me what else could be the problem.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have BIOS in AHCI and UEFI.

But something you said made me take second look.

When I hit F12 I was selecting "USB" under Legacy Options. Below there was an UEFI category with "windows boot", "Kingston HD" (that's my HD), and UEFI PMAP. No clue what that means but figured it must be my USB.

So I selected UEFI PMAP and got boot menu.

Started booting Clover and eventually got garbled screen.

Did again with -v option. This time stuck at "Sound assertion in AppleHDADriver....Service exited with abnormal code: 1" for a long time. Finally exited.

Then waiting on "AppleACPICPU". Its been several minutes and my USB light stopped blinking. So that's it.

Also I'm using the USB port at the rear since I know it is USB 2.0. The ones on the side are USB 3.0

What can I try next?

Sorry, unsure what you are saying. I did pick the option under UEFI after F12. The options are

Windows Boot

Kingston XXXXX

UEFI PMAP

I selected UEFI PMAP. Is this correct?

Also, for kicks I used port on the side which is USB 3.0 port. This time I got to Apple Logo with no progress bar filed and cursor spinning at top left corner. I let it stay like that, but eventually, the screen went completely blank. Pressed power button once to restart but screen came back to apple logo with spinning icon. So again, stuck.

To clarify, I always reset BIOS, and then change options as required. So I'm using AHCI, and UEFI. I've triple checked my EFI folder. If you can please clarify "UEFI on top" would really appreciate it.

• Moderators

If your USB is UEFI and you have Legacy set in the Bios, you'll see the USB twice. Under UEFI and under Legacy. What you could try is add a boot option under UEFI pointing to EFI\Clover\cloverx64.efi. Move the new boot option to the top and save.
Reboot with verbose mode

First, I'm positive I don't have Legacy mode set. It is UEFI. I know this because I have Windows on this disk. And I had to use MBR2GPT to convert the Windows installation and then it only booted once I changed BIOS mode from Legacy to UEFI. I have UEFI.

Now I also did what you said in the UEFI boot order. I moved UEFI PMAP to the top. After that, I didn't have to F12. Like you said it went straight to Clover Boot Menu. However, the symptoms haven't changed. Apple Logo with Spinning cursor on top left. :-(

Besides -v, is there another option I can try?

Will do the boot entry you said as well and try.

EDIT - Tried what you said but same result.

Okay I made some progress, but first I need to explain - Is it possible the generic EFI folder in the pack is corrupt?

So when I built the USB for E6330, I had made a mistake. I had forgotten to copy the generic EFI folder first and only used the E6330 files. This is why I was missing the HFSPlus.efi file which I had to manually copy over.

So I sorta "repeated" the same mistake. And NOW, I'm able to get to the language selection screen.

I'm going to format the disk into two and install Windows first like I always do. Hopefully you can tell me where I'm going wrong/right.

Okay I have installed Sierra completely following post installation instructions in this post.

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/8506-dell-latitude-inspiron-precision-clover-guide/?p=54632

I used SMBIOS 8,1 since it is closest to my specs

I generated SSDT and copied into patched.

However I have several issues

0) I installed Clover on the HD, but I still need USB to boot into it, else it goes straight into Windows. I can't boot into OSX even with F12. I select Mac OSX but it will still boot windows ???

1) No QE/CI

2) No Sound (even though sound buttons work I don't hear anything)

3) Sleep does not work. It pretends then wakes up. which probably means I might have to sacrifice some peripheral.

Wifi and Bluetooth I can figure out later. Ethernet does work. All USB ports work.