Sierra on Latitude E5440

griftopia

Hi Jake. Yes. Of course I did that. My booting from USB and later from each partition are no longer issues.

Like I said, I completed the install. QE/CI, Sound are the real issues. I realized sleep does not work only if USB stick is still in port. Less of an issue at this time.

I was also doing reading on FakeSMC injection etc. and making sure config.plist had the patches. Just can't get things to work.

I also tried the kext update for El Capitan in a subsequent post in your thread thinking that was the problem why I don't have sound but it rendered my laptop unbootable until I restored original kext.

I'm going to retire the entire procedure from scratch one more time and report tomorrow.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I was successful in rebuilding cache. It did give me some error on "prelinked kernel in use", but I've always got that.

In any case like I said, I had to hack my way through to where I landed, and was expecting a more smoother experience. So I'm going to take new USB stick and start from scratch and report back.

Okay so there are 3 generic EFI folders in Jake's post. Two at the top and 1 at the bottom after all the listed bootpacks. I took v4200 assuming that's the latest. Previously I had been taking EFI at the bottom and that never worked for me.

With v4200, Clover bootloader simply reboots when I try to boot the USB. I think I have to fix this first and foremost. Which generic EFI do I use?

Sorry Jake, I think I know how to copy files, but I just don't get it. So after preparing USB 3 times I gave up and just proceeded down the one and only path that worked for me. Just ignore generic EFI and copy HFIPlus.efi manually.

So I installed again, but when it came to installing Clover on the Hard Disk did something different. I had prepared EFI folder separately for copying onto Hard Disk EFI partition and used *that* folder. I'm thinking the USB stick is means to an end. After all laptop will look at Hard Disk folder and that is per your instructions.

So NOW, I do see an improvement. I got sound !!! - EDIT: After flawed sleep wake I lost sound again until I reboot :-(

Problem - I still don't have QE/CI. I'm beat and will pick this up tomorrow. Meanwhile I will attach my config/kexts/dsdts shortly.

Anothe problem is laptop goes to sleep, but then couple of seconds later reboots.

PS - When I built cache I still get this error on prelinkedkernel cannot be used. Mentioning in case that's critical issue. Clearly it is building cache with all kexts including ones I copied onto /L/E.

config.plist.zip

Other.zip

patched.zip

• Moderators

Sorry, I left out FakePCIID.kext. Just re-upped a new bootpack, made some modification on the DSDT and switched audio kext to AppleALC.kext, so AppleHDA_ALC292.kext will no longer be used.

If you could run this and list the output here, we could determine what is causing the instant wake issue

log show --style syslog | fgrep "Wake reason"

If you have a different version of the BIOS A13 or plan on updating to the latest, you could export the raw files with that version of BIOS and I'll patch them for you.

Just let me know what version of BIOS and attach the Origin folder here.

All right...

I put the FakePCIID and AppleALC in k/O

I removed AppleHDA_ALC292.kext from k/O/LE (I'm assuming it never got loaded from there, but just being consistent) and I also removed it from /L/E.

Did chmod/chown/touch on L/E and then rebuilt cache. First Time didn't get any prelinkedkernel error. instead saw kextcache updated critical files and request reboot using launchd reboot.

And I took the new DSDT.

Before I continue, my BIOS is A13 and I am not seeing any reason to update unless there are any advantages with it. I have no problem leaving at A13.

And I forgot to mention earlier I have stuck with your SMBIOS in pack (11,1 I think), and simply generated new system Id (figured best not to change too many things)

Now, then...rebooted...

1) I have QE/CI! I confirmed looking at Screen Saver previews and DVD player. And it's just obvious :-).

2) I lost sound permanently. The sound icon I had enabled in menubar is grayed out. :-(. I don't think I should have retained the other kext in /L/E because your new bootpack doesn't have it. Any ideas?

3) Wake reason with command you provided says "Wake reason: LID0". Don't get it because I didn't touch the lid.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can provide. Really appreciate you 'alls time and help.

• Moderators

Did you replace the Config file too?

Had to change layout-id to 12. Yes, remove AppleHDA_ALC292 from /L/E and repair permission & rebuild cache

Was the left USB3 working prior?

If so, then remove the EH01 and EH02 patch from the Config file.

No I hadn't replaced the config. I only did what I thought you described in your reply when you updated boot pack. I will take the config.plist and test

Also The USB3 port on left IS working. My bad. I have started noticing a different problem which is sometimes volumes don't show mounted on desktop or finder until i reboot. But they are actually mounted. Which is what happen when i was testing with USB stick.

One more thing. What I reported in logs when attempting to put computer to sleep was when doing so manually. If I let computer timeout to sleep then logs also include HDEF along with LID0.

Pleaes let me know if there was any other file I should have taken. I'm trying to not slam things in right now because if something breaks I want to know what did it. For example if I need to update the SSDT-PLNF then please tell me because I've not taken it.

I will use new config.plist and update this post with results...

AND Sound Works. And even if sleep is still botched (it pretends to sleep and wakes up then reboots) I don't lose sound like before. And I also don't lose my USB ports. And I also don't lose my Camera. So sound I can say is fixed permanently now.

So Sleep is the major issue now.

Wifi I will get working soon.

The only other annoyance is FN+Brightness Keys don't work and laptop always reboots to 100% brightness and will not retain previous setting.