Dell Precision 7910 : is if feasible ?

simsalabim

our uni has an exclusive contract with dell so all machines are dells here. We can however choose which one, so even a 7910 with 12core Xeon is an option. I'd like to replace my aging mac with a beefy machine but a mac pro is simply out of budget. A 7910 however is not. With the discount that the uni gets, I can get a 32GB 8core (Intel® Xeon® processor E5-2630 v3 @ 2,4GHz) machine with a AMD FirePro™ W4100 2 GB (4 DP) GPU for about 2200€ which is really a good deal...

the question of course is : can I get a hackintosh running on this ? I am an experienced mac user and i'm not afraid to spend a whole day on this, but if you guys say that it is simply not possible, I won't bother.

in the latter case, is there another high-end dell that DOES work as a hackintosh ?

many thanks !

• Administrators

In principle, any recent PC or workstation is Hackintoshable as long as it bears hardware compatible with OS X/macOS. We're talking CPUs, chipset, graphics card  to name the most critical parts. The rest (audio, LAN, wireless, etc. ) can always be supported through add-on devices.

Xeon E5-2630 v3 is Haswell-EP generation  & Intel X99 chipset so should be supported OOB or without too much bother. Maybe you'll need the VoodooTSCSync to properly handle all the CPU cores. Other than that, I cannot imagine any issues. Have a look at RampageDev's X99 dmg section of the forum if necessary.

AMD FirePro W4100 (Cape Verde chip) is also understood to be compatible though you'll probably have to fake a Radeon HD 7xxx id and install add-on kexts such as Verde or WhateverGreen that are required to support AMD 7xxx graphics.

https://github.com/vit9696/WhateverGreen

You can Google for all of this.

my main concern is that I don't want to buy a 2500$ machine only to realize that i'm stuck with windows. If you say that is is 100% certainly doable, I might go for it :-)

Will things like handoff and continuity work ? 

are there tips that you can give that might make my work easier ? Like opting for (or against) a specific type of video card or other stuff ?

• Administrators

Indeed, you should be. What you envisage is not exactly very serious for the targeted professional/working purpose. Who would you be calling for support? Your local IT or good souls on Internet forums?

I *am* the local IT guy :-)

our uni would never support this. We can get a mac, but with the current mac prices I'd be happy to get an i5.. My current macbook is almost 4 years old and I'm envious of my collegues who get a speedy Xeon Dell for half the price. 

I think I will risk the jump with the 7910 : I read as much as I could about hackintosh and I still have my macbook to work on until the dell is operational. I'll give myself one month to try and after that I reinstall windows and pass the dell to a collegue.

I have only 2 more minor questions : 

- Would you recommend partition-splitting the internal SSD in a win-boot and a mac-boot partition ? 

- I can get a high-end SSD (NVMe PCIe class 50) which means the dell will have a FlexBay disk controller (intel RST-e). These are quite a bit faster but might introduce Hackintosh troubles. Is this a valid fear or would you consider this solvable with enough patience ?

cheers and have a nice weekend !

• Administrators

well being a tower form factor at least it has room to expand if things do not work out of the box. worst case I guess you can always add a graphics card or a hard drive. maybe you can see if any Macs used the same hardware by cross checking at everymac.com you can do a sort then look at intel macs only to cross reference. that should also give you an idea of what SMBIOS profile to emulate for your machine. I would think it might be some sort of Mac Pro. at least by cross referencing you have a better idea what your up against. you can also try google some of the parts or chipsets and add the words osx or Mac to the search