[Success] 10.15.4 on a Dell Latitude E7270 M.2 12.5" Touch

WhiteDragon

A shout out to Jake Lo -- great guide for Dell Latitude 7X70 laptops! It took me about an hour or so to get it up and running with 10.15.3 (with minor issues):

CPU: i7-6600U 2.6GHz

GPU: HD 520

RAM: 16GB

SSD: 256GB

I set it up as dual boot with Windows 10, by copying my Clover EFI to the Windows System EFI and adding the following boot option via the BIOS:

\EFI\CLOVER\CLOVERX64.efi

The USB flash drive I used with my Catalina install media was using HFS+J, so I added the HFSPlus.efi driver to the initial bootpack.

When I upgraded the laptop to 10.15.4, it hit a graphics firmware loading problem (50 retries and a kernel panic) during the 10.15.4 boot. I used the Clover arg "-disablegfxfirmware" to solve the problem.

I also ran into an issue (hang at the Apple logo) with the 10.15.4 update with Clover 5102 (I was being lazy). Upgrading Clover to 5112 solved the problem. After reading related posts, I recommend using at least Clover 5107+.

The laptop has 3 external USB ports. Only one was working after the initial install. I had to use Hackintool to inject all possible ports and then tested each port with a device. I ended up with 9 live ports (including the internal ports) and after generating and adding USBPorts.kext and the accompanying SSDTs, all of the external ports worked. It also fixed the Bluetooth function.

I'm now trying to see if I can get the touchscreen to work, but that would be icing on the cake. The laptop is working well!

I've provided my Clover files in case anyone might want to use them.

Thanks for a great guide, Jake Lo!

Dell Hackintosh.jpg

CLOVER.zip

• Moderators

Touchscreen should be USB based. Check System Preferences, you should see an Icon call Ink. You should be able to get basic mouse movement, if not you could try a 3rd party software call Touch-Base. Your SSDT-UIAC is a big different from mine, I guess the touchscreen model is configure differently. 

You should use either SSDT-UIAC + USBInjectall.kext or USBPort.kext, not both. Also use ApplePS2Controller.kext or VoodooPS2Controller.kext, not both.

How is your experience with VoodooPS2Controller? 

Looks like the version you're using is by Acidanthera.

• Like 1

The trackpad and keyboard work nicely with the latest Acidanthra VoodooPS2Controller.kext. I'm very happy with how the trackpad is working -- smooth cursor movement and good two-finger scroll control.

The touchscreen is definitely USB-based. The device is seen by both the system report and IORegistryExplorer. The touchscreen is an Atmel chip touchscreen and I know what USB port it is on. I do not see an Ink preference. I will definitely look into Touch-Base and experiment more.

I eliminated the ApplePS2Controller.kext and my SSDT-UIAC.aml (and kept my USBPorts.kext) and no noticeable difference. Less is always better.

Does your E7270 have 3 external USB ports? Mine has one on the right side and two on the back. The two on the back didn't work with your initial bootpack. that is why I reconfigured the USB ports.

Thanks for the guidance!

• Moderators

Hmm, my touchpad is completed undetected with voodoops2controller from acidanthera. I wonder if you have a different touchpad than mine (Alps). Do you mine posting a debug file of your system? 

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/10209-how-to-generate-proper-problem-reporting-files/

Mainly interested in the IOReg file

thanks

• Moderators

Hmm, looks like the UPDD driver is attached to your touchpad. I'm trying to download a custom driver as well but unfortunately my model don't have the touchscreen for it to detect. Do you mind uploading your driver kexts?

The touchpad was working fine before I installed the UPDD driver. I deleted the ApplePS2Controller.kext before installing the UPDD driver and the trackpad continued to work well.

Installing the UPDD driver got the touchscreen working.

I generated the debug files and attached them. My kexts are in the debug files.

I can boot up in windows and get the touchpad hardware ID from the device manager. Let me know if that would be helpful to you.

debug_17857.zip