OS X Lion Compatibility - D620 vs D630

seb3

• Administrators

Dear Raislin,

As long as the cpu has the same fsb speed it should be compatible. However, need to double check the heat sink can take the new cpu cooling requirement. Do get second opinion as any mistake will cause your cpu or even mobo to be fried. dry.gif

Cheers!

Please read the first paragraph at that page ... (it's been there for a while tongue.gif )

Update: made it bold for you tongue.gifhttp://www.osxlatitude.com/compare-specs/

Hi All,

This is an old topic but only now I have the need to upgrade.

This means that ANY DT781 D630 motherboard can accomodate 8GB of RAM?

I am asking cause I found some D630 MBs from e-bay (DT781 ones) but the sellers are not sure about the 8GB.

Since my D620 MB is dying, I thought of buying a D630 MB with its base and just attach my screen to the new base.

But I need 8GB of RAM.

Any hints?

Thank you for your time.

BR

George

What's a DT781 mobo ???

RAM support is more a matter of chipset capabilities and all D630 are based on Intel GM965 as far as I know -> 8Go RAM max.

(Sorry I am not advertising just looking for advise) I saw this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-D630-Motherboard-DT781-Intel-Video-case-fan-heat-sink-modem-/221162392374?pt=Motherboards&hash=item337e4e4b36http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Latitude-D630-Motherboard-DT781-Intel-Video-case-fan-heat-sink-modem-/221162392374?pt=Motherboards&hash=item337e4e4b36

It is referenced as a DT781 (I guess this is the Dell model) and based on Intel GM965. So I guess 8GB is possible with it.

The DT781 is a dell part number. This particular one has an Intel GPU. Make sure you are replacing a MB with Intel graphics, or you will likely have to get a new heatsink (if it doesn't come with one). They make at least two different Intel motherboards, so may I suggest that you use your Service Tag at the dell website to see which MB is in yours and get the same board as a replacement (you can find the components of your particular machine with the Service tag - Google Dell warranty status). Although they (the Intel boards for this unit) are fundamentally the same, it's best to avoid surprises. Might I also suggest when buying from eBay that you buy from a reliable reseller who will offer a warranty for replacement as many are companies who get off lease products and use damaged ones to harvest parts from, often without testing, or with minimal testing. Keep in mind if yours has a NVidia GPU, these units were among those plagued by problems with faulty GPU's and they may not have been replaced.

I might add, when viewing the component list for your computer, you may see more than one MB listed. Look to the left of the part description, if it has a "1" (or higher number as in the case of screws, memory, etc.), it is in yours, if it has a "0", it is NOT in yours.

• Administrators

The CPUs aren't swappable either. FSB667 on the D620 vs. FSB800 on the D630. Apart from that, the rest of the HW is interchangeable (RAM, HDD, Wireless, WWAN, CD/DVD drives, LCD, keyboard, etc.).

You did not say which D620 model you have, but if the motherboard is dying due to nVidia chip starting to fail, that can be fixed through the oven-baking method (there's a post about it on the forum).

Thank you all for your answers.

My D620 is intel based and it fails due to hot tee being through on it in the past. Now it starts to fail.

The ventilator is not getting a signal to start for example :) (yes it self tries from leftovers of the past like that but it will be over done!)

So since I also need more then 4GB of RAM and instead of just replacing the MB and start drilling the case around, I decided to go for D630 base. I found some that include also the CPU at insanely cheep price.

Your feed was very helpful indeed so once more thank you All.