HI! Got me a D620!

adam

• Administrators

CPU change is not too difficult but it does require a bit of dismantling. Anyone with a bit of time and patience/care should be able to do it.

D620 will support any Intel C2D with FSB 667MHZ, the T5600 being one of them but not the best. A T7xxx is a much better choice with bigger cache and higher frequencies.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPU change is not too difficult but it does require a bit of dismantling. Anyone with a bit of time and patience/care should be able to do it.

D620 will support any Intel C2D with FSB 667MHZ, the T5600 being one of them but not the best. A T7xxx is a much better choice with bigger cache and higher frequencies.

Got a partial refund on it so it only cost me £75. It's like new too. Someone has given me a T5600 so I will slap that in first. Found a great vid in YouTube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJbXS9wcyA&sns=em

• Administrators

Great video indeed. It's possible to do it without so much dismantling, but it does require a bit of dexterity.

When you change your CPU, I'd strongly recommend that you do the following:

- clean off dust of the CPU fan, it's a perfect opportunity to do it (hoover does wonder there)

- wipe any thermal paste residue off the new CPU + heatsink's bottom

- put a rice grain-equivalent of ArticSilver 5 thermal paste on the CPU and apply it evenly to the surface before putting the heatsink back into place (buy some AS5 if you don't have any paste at hand, it only costs a few bobs).

This will ensure best possible cooling for your CPU.

When you change your CPU, do the following:

- clean off dust of the CPU fan (hoover does wonder there)

- wipe any thermal paste residue off the new CPU + heatsink

- put a rice grain equivalent of ArticSilver 5 thermal paste on the CPU before putting the heatsink in place (buy some if you don't have any paste at hand, it's just a few bobs).

This will ensure best possible cooling for your CPU.

Thanks.

• Administrators

Yes, indeed...

1) I'm very surprised a T5550 would not fit, unless it was not a T5550 you actually got delivered.

2) the T5300 is FSB 533MHz and the D620 is meant to use FSB 667MHz CPUs. Unless you're trying to overclock the T5300 (which may be possible through FSB pinmod), it may not be usable at all in the D620.

3) you had mentioned getting a T5600.

I'm confused...