Precision 5510: degraded performance when running on mains

Mac Unnamed

Hi, my system is Dell Precision 5510

BIOS version 1.16.1

i5 6440HQ

16GB RAM

No dGPU

I'm using the bootpack of @Jake Lo, everything works great so far. Excepts the performance when on battery is much better than when charger is plugged in.

When running on mains:

GeekBench_mains.jpg

When running on battery:

GeekBench_battery.jpg

Even the VMWare Fusion runs much better on battery (uses all cores). While plugged in, seems like it uses only one core for the VM and it's super slow.

When charger is unplugged, the battery indicator also turns red and says it's low (in fact it's 100%). The performance after unplugging the charger remains the same, I have to reboot on battery to have the best performance.

I couldn't figure out what's wrong, please help me out. Thank you very much!

What I have tried (each line is a separate attempt):

• make a new CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
  • disable CPUFriendDataProvider.kext
  • disable CPUFriend.kext
  • disable SMCBattery
  • messing around with BIOS settings
  • tried ssdtPRGen

Nothing worked so far. I also notice the number of "P-States" reported by the AppleIntelInfo is quite low, ranging from 6-10 speed steps. The CPU does run at 3.2GHz boost tho.

• Administrators

Sounds more like some ACPI tuning is required around the battery and/or AC devices. Is it the pack from this guide?

Skylake i5-6440HQ runs @2.60GHz with Turbo boost up to 3.50GHz, depending on core usage: 3.50GHz (1 core), 3.30GHz (2 cores), 3.10GHz (3 and 4 cores).

• Administrators

Can you extract your DSDT with maciASL and post it?

You run latest BIOS 1.16.1 of March 2021 when Jake ran with BIOS 1.15.0 when he posted his guide back in February. Out of interest, I'd try to downgrade BIOS, you never know... But, Jake may tune in on the matter and he'll be able to assist you a lot better given that I've no such laptop whilst he does.

• Administrators

I've compared your DSDT with that of my Skylake E7270 and it's the same ACPI code throughout for AC and BATx devices. Try and adjust your OC config as follows:

• disable GPRW renaming
  • disable SSDT-GPRW.aml

Hi Hervé, thank you for your time and the suggestions. Unfortunately, it didn't work too.

I have looked into those custom ACPIs and googled them before posting this thread to find anything relates to power control or battery, but to my limited knowledge about ACPI they don't. So I just leave them as-is. Removed the dGPU tho.

More testing:

Plugged + Geekbench => bad score

Plugged + Sleep/Wake cycle + Geekbench => good score

Plugged + Sleep/Wake cycle  + Sleep/Wake cycle + Geekbench => mixed bag of bad score and hanging.

@Jake Lo can you please take a look when you have time? I much appreciated it.