Dell Latitude E6230: Big Sur 11.7.2 installation stuck

Amaleic

@Hervé, every time i use -no_compat_check when grub runs.

Everything works well now, thank you!

Spoiler

672315917_ScreenShot2023-01-06at2_41_19AM.thumb.png.6f881cb4a0bc8620bacd05c77749b42c.png229475276_ScreenShot2023-01-06at2_48_09AM.png.c87cf424720e068f37957360bd7f437e.png

Now there is a small problem with scrolling and swiping. The touchpad reacts strangely to multiple fingers. On Catalina, scrolling was smooth and swiping left and right also worked well. Perhaps after updating kexts, these problems appeared.

• Administrators

I've completely revamped my E6230 Big Sur guide. See here.

I don't believe I changed the PS2Controller kexts between Catalina and Big Sur but feel free to experiment (make sure to boot off a USB key when testing to avoid breaking a running build).

• Thanks 1

I used your bootpack and everything works great now. I noticed that voodoops2controller.kext is different in size from mine even though the version is the same. In general, the system itself works faster than with my config.

There was a question with hibernation. I didn't set hibernationmode=0 and I don't know if it's necessary to do it if everything works fine now, including sleep mode.

@Hervé Thank you for that Big Sur pack. We now have comparable benchmark scores to Catalina and prior.

Just an FYI

The config_MBP11,1.plist gives an error upon booting regarding the SMBIOS/PlatformFeature.

Even though the 0x2 is in there when you open the config_MBP11,1.plist in proper tree or a plist editor - Clover doesn't appear to detect it. It shows as blank in Clover Configurator? Weird I know.

My fix was opening config_MBP11,1.plist in the Clover Configurator and putting that the "2" in the SMBIOS/PlatformFeature field then saving it in the Clover Configurator.

I say this because what happens is - the config_MBP11,1.plist config appears to fail to load when you choose it and it falls back to the config.plist which gives the unsupported "no signal" logo.

This will leave a lot of people confused I will believe.

Thanks again for your work.

• Administrators

@Dave45 I guess you must be using a version of CC or a version of Clover not entirely compatible with the posted config or the config file somehow got corrupted for you. Or maybe made a confusion and actually used a different config file like the default one ("config.plist") in which Platform Support parameter is indeed not specified due to MBP10,2 SMBIOS.

In each of my guide, I always include a copy of the version of CC and Clover I used. In the case of my E6230 Big Sur guide, I do not reproduce the issue you mentioned when I open said MBP11,1 config file with CC v5.19.0.0 (provided in the guide) nor with v5.23.0.0/v5.24.0.0: the Platform Feature parameter is clearly visible in the SMBIOS tab of the app and I have no issue booting that config with Clover either. This config boots Catalina & Monterey (with additional -no_compat_check for latter) with Clover r5150 -the version now running on my E6230- without a glitch.