USB OSX install

Hatchet92882

Hey guys, First i'm SOOOOOOOOOOOOO glad i found this site, I just purchased a d620 off ebay for $109. So far i unaware for what kind graphics card it has ( will find out when i get it) I have a iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) cd, will that cd work or do i need to get a usb to install SL? I would like lion or moutian lion but have a copy for Snow

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded)? What's that??? ;)

OSXLatitude advocates the EDP method: http://www.osxlatitude.com/edp

It does require access to an existing Mac or Hackintosh to create the installation media...

If you do not have such access, you can use iboot (chameleon, stolen and rebranded) or Nawcom's BootCD method (I recommend the latter) to start with and obtain an operational Hackintosh base that, albeit uncomplete/not fine-tuned, will allow you to create the EDP-based USB installation media. You would then completely re-install Mac OS X to obtain your fully operational D620 Hackintosh.

On a D620:

SL -> Ok

Lion -> Ok (with Core 2 Duo CPU only)

Mountain Lion -> NOk (no graphics support at the moment), so don't bother.

• Administrators

Ok, well you'll need:

- a D620 with Broadcom wireless card (Intel not supported). Built-in Ethernet should work though.

- Nawcom's ModCD burnt on a CD or DVD (Google is your friend)

- Snow Leopard genuine retail image on a DVD or USB key (cheaply purchased from Apple)

- a spare USB key (8Go minimum) or USB HDD to build your Vanilla (i.e. native Mac-like) installation media

The following process provides a 2-phased approach:

1) a temporary installation with legacy kernel that will allow the creation of a myHack Vanilla EDP-based installation media

2) a final full-blown installation using this Vanilla installation media using the OS X Latitude EDP-based process

- Boot from ModCD CD/DVD. Once you get to the fancy black installation screen, insert your Snow Leopard retail media and press F5. Once your SL media appears, select it and press ENTER.

- Things will load, lots of text lines will be displayed and you should get to a graphical language selection screen. Your're starting...

- Choose whatever language you fancy and you'll get to the Snow Leopard installation screen.

- Re-partition & re-format the D620 HDD (GUID partition/OS X Journalised format - call it "Mac OS X" for example) through the Disk Utility available from top menu bar. Exit Disk Utility once completed.

- Select newly formatted HDD ("Mac OS X" disk) and proceed with SL installation (I think you can install with ModCD default parameters, it'll be a temp installation anyway).

- Once installation has finished, remove your SL retail media and reboot off your ModCD CD/DVD again.

- At the fancy black screen, select your newly installed SL partition ("Mac OS X" disk/partition). This will boot your fresh SL installation which you'll be prompted to finalise (language, account name, etc.).

- You should get to the SL desktop, having booted into a legacy-kernel Hackintosh. Not everything will be working at this stage. Don't worry, this is to be expected.

- Connect to the Net (through Wifi or Ethernet), download myHack and install it.

- From there on, you can follow the procedure detailed in the EDP section of this site, i.e. create the myHack Vanilla-kernel installation media with model-specific Bootpack. I would recommend that you copy the image of your SL retail media to the desktop prior to launching the myHack process so that you only have your final USB installation media to plug in (that way, you're less likely to make confusion between USB keys for instance).

Good luck!

Follow this post for an example of one of my early installations. It's a similar method:

https://osxlatitude.com/index.php?/topic/147-dell-latitude-d430-thread/page__st__120

Things have evolved since (new EDP versions have been released), but the overall early/temporary installation process remains the same.

Best way to learn is by trial and errors.

PS: I've no D Series laptop with biometric reader, so that's one point I cannot comment on. Everything else will/should work, except screen sleep on nVidia D620s (known issue).

Ok, I got OSX installed corectly, i think?! I was unable to do the my hack thing due to the fact that it wouldn't see my jump drive, I have another one just lost it. But I installed the edp and everything on to this native install. I think everything works, wifi, sound, etc. Did I do something wrong or is this ok?

• Administrators

You won't be able to boot off the Mac OS DVD for sure. And it looks like your Mod CD installation did not like EDP... Re-install through ModCD again. On completion, reboot off the ModCD CD/DVD and choose your freshly installation Snow Leopard HDD partition to boot from.

If you have the black screen issue, hook an external screen to your laptop and press Fn-F8 to switch display to that external monitor. At the end of boot process, display should switch back automatically to built-in LCD (well it does on D630 with X3100 GPU and 1440x900 LCD).

Assuming you have a Broadcom Wifi card (Intel not supported), download your model specific bootpack and place the DSDT table in /Extra. Then download Chameleon and install it. That should normally get you to a bootable SL system. Reboot.

Then install myHack. If your USB key is not recognized, it's probably a model incompatible with Mac OS (I once had an issue with a 32Gb USB key. Worked Ok under Win, but totally unusable under Mac OS X). Try another one or an external HDD to get your myHack installation media done and re-install following the EDP procedure.

Can you provide the full specs of your machine (BIOS version, CPU type, screen res, etc.)? I think I have a spare D620 Intel GMA at work I could borrow for testing...

You won't be able to boot off the Mac OS DVD for sure. And it looks like your Mod CD installation did not like EDP... Re-install through ModCD again. On completion, reboot off the ModCD CD/DVD and choose your freshly installation Snow Leopard HDD partition to boot from.

If you have the black screen issue, hook an external screen to your laptop and press Fn-F8 to switch display to that external monitor. At the end of boot process, display should switch back automatically to built-in LCD (well it does on D630 with X3100 GPU and 1440x900 LCD).

Assuming you have a Broadcom Wifi card (Intel not supported), download your model specific bootpack and place the DSDT table in /Extra. Then download Chameleon and install it. That should normally get you to a bootable SL system. Reboot.

Then install myHack. If your USB key is not recognized, it's probably a model incompatible with Mac OS (I once had an issue with a 32Gb USB key. Worked Ok under Win, but totally unusable under Mac OS X). Try another one or an external HDD to get your myHack installation media done and re-install following the EDP procedure.

Can you provide the full specs of your machine (BIOS version, CPU type, screen res, etc.)? I think I have a spare D620 Intel GMA at work I could borrow for testing...

Can you go into more detail about the hole DSDT and /Extra, like dumbman term, I dont want to miss or screw up any steps. I'm Getting REALLY frustrated but I will get it installed, oh yes i will get it installed, LOL!!!! BTW... OSX says my processor is a Core 2 duo, when in BIOS, say its a Core Duo?!

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac

Model Identifier: OSX86Hack1,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 1 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 667 MHz

pci14e4,4312:

Type: Other Network Controller

Bus: PCI

Vendor ID: 0x14e4

Device ID: 0x4312

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1028

Subsystem ID: 0x0007

Revision ID: 0x0001

Link Width: x1

BSD name: en0

Kext name: AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleAirPortBrcm4311.kext

Version: 422.91.27

Display:

Type: GPU

Bus: Built-In

VRAM (Total): 64 MB of Shared System Memory

Vendor: Intel (0x8086)

Device ID: 0x27a2

Revision ID: 0x0003

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768