Dell Latitude 7300: hibernation/sleep not working

Cropester
Go to solution Solved by Cropester,

• Administrators

Don't hesitate to Google for this kind of things, especially as it's nothing specific to macOS or Hackintosh...

• Sleep -> memory contents is retained as is and computer does not shutdown. Power LED usually fades in and out as an indication. Wake is immediate. Computer still consumes a little power from the battery so it would completely drain out after a several hours/a few days, depending on battery charge level and wear. This is usually the preferred mode of operation for computers that are used on a very regular basis.
  • Hibernation -> memory contents is dumped to disk and computer shuts down. Wake is slower because computer boots and reloads memory contents from disk. Computer consumes no battery during hibernation. This is usually preferred for computers subject to long period of inactivity.

For many years, plain old sleep was recommended on Hackintosh computers because hibernation was not properly/fully supported and often caused crashes/KPs.

Thank you for the explanation. But I already knew that. :) I mean this setting here. I found a few different ones on the internet that you can use but I'm not sure what difference it makes if I use 3 or 4.

pmset -g    

System-wide power settings:

Currently in use:

standbydelaylow      10800

standby              1

halfdim              1

hibernatefile        /var/vm/sleepimage

proximitywake        0

powernap             1

gpuswitch            2

disksleep            10

standbydelayhigh     86400

sleep                1 (sleep prevented by runningboardd, runningboardd, runningboardd, runningboardd, runningboardd)

autopoweroffdelay    259200

hibernatemode        3

autopoweroff         1

ttyskeepawake        1

displaysleep         2

tcpkeepalive         1

highstandbythreshold 50

lidwake              1

• Administrators

Sorry, my mistake, I didn't read your question properly and with all due attention. -_-

Afaik, there are only 3 supported hibernation modes: 0, 3 and 25. You can check those out in the built-in manual pages through Terminal command line:

man pmset