D620 Snow Leopard post install

dantes_

I used MyHack to install the Extra folder and the chameleon boot loader and then installed Snow Leopard. After the install the screen went grey with the spinning gear. It stayed that way for hours. I rebooted and took out the USB drive. Instead of booting to the OS I just got a blank screen with a blinking cursor in the upper left.

Obviously I did something incorrect. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I did a forum search and wasn't able to find anything that addressed this, but if I missed it, I apologize.

I've got a Dell Latitude d620, Intel Core2 Duo, Intel 945GM Graphics and Intel Wireless card. I used MyHack 3.1.2 and the Extra folder labeled Dell_Latitude_D620-intel-sl. Additionally I am using a 10.6.3 retail dvd.

If I can provide any further information let me know.

Thanks.

• Administrators

1st of all and before you do anything else, replace your Intel Wireless card by a Dell/Broadcom one because Intel boards are not supported. Do a search on the forum for posts with listed models.

Re-create your myHack USB pen:

1) OS X installer (10.6)

2) Install Extra (use your downloaded Bootpack)

That's it, nothing else at this stage, no need to add anything else.

Install SL onto your laptop. On completion and reboot, you won't have Wifi (unless you've replaced your wireless card), just 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Download and install EDP and run it to apply the kexts specific to your model (menu 1). Install goodies such as Chameleon and SoundFlower or iStats. Reboot, you'll be in business.

1st of all and before you do anything else, replace your Intel Wireless card by a Dell/Broadcom one because Intel boards are not supported. Do a search on the forum for posts with listed models.

1) OS X installer (10.6)

Install SL onto your laptop. On completion and reboot, you won't have Wifi (unless you've replaced your wireless card), just 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Download and install EDP and run it to apply the kexts specific to your model (menu 1). Install goodies such as Chameleon and SoundFlower or iStats. Reboot, you'll be un business.

Thanks for the response. I have now ordered a new wireless card that should arrive in a few days.

But can you clarify why I would need to re-create the USB drive? I ask because I don't have ready access to a Snow Leopard Mac and I'd need to arrange access to another to re-create the USB drive.

Thanks again.

• Administrators

Just to be sure: you say your install went to completion but you cannot reboot into OS X; neither off the USB bootloader, nor directly off the HDD partition.

I'm a great believer of starting with a sound base, but if you think your installation media is Ok, give a shot to another installation.

Just to be sure: you say your install went to completion but you cannot reboot into OS X; neither off the USB bootloader, nor directly off the HDD partition.

I'm a great believer of starting with a sound base, but if you think your installation media is Ok, give a shot to another installation.

Thanks to both you and Bronxteck. Once I've gotten the new wireless card, I will try again.

1) OS X installer (10.6)

Install SL onto your laptop. On completion and reboot, you won't have Wifi (unless you've replaced your wireless card), just 10/100/1000 Ethernet. Download and install EDP and run it to apply the kexts specific to your model (menu 1). Install goodies such as Chameleon and SoundFlower or iStats. Reboot, you'll be in business.

I replaced the wireless card and then reinstalled via the usb drive. As you suspected, I had the same issue.

Because I need to borrow a Mac to get the usb card, I want to make sure I understand the steps to set it up.

First I use MyHack to create the usb drive rather than using Disk Utility.

Then I use MyHack to install the correct Extra package on the usb.

Is that correct?

Thanks again for your help.

• Administrators

Well, you can use Disk Utility to re-partition/format your USB key as GUID/Mac OS extended (journaled) to start with.

Then you mount your retail 10.6.3 SL image and launch myHack to create the USB key installer. At the end of that creation, just re-run myHack to create the /Extra folder of your USB key, pointing to the D620-intel-SL bootpack that you'll have previously downloaded.